Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1978 ford f150: it, and it wont start..voltage..I put new coil

I have a 1978 ford f150 w/400 it was running, one day I went to start it, and it wont start now, I would like to know what is the voltage that is supposed to be to coil, and if you have anything I should try next. I put new coil on, it seems to want to start when I let off from the key.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello, does it try to start when you let go of the key?

Customer:

yes

Ron :

The ignition control modual has a crank and run circuit and the problem you are describing is in most cases caused by a bad ignition modual. , The modual has lost its run curcit and the fix is to replave it, the modual in the gray box that is mounted on the drivers side inner fender.

Customer:

I put a new module on and it didnt help, it doesnt even try to fire.

Ron :

At the modual see if you have 12 volts on the red and the white wire. If so then your next step would be to replace the stator in the distributor.

Customer:

13 volts on white wire and none on red wire

Ron :

Check the red while cranking

Customer:

It was 10.17 volts while I was cranking it over

Ron :

That mean you are ok to the modual, was the replacement modual new?

Customer:

yes

Ron :

There are only three components in the ignition system and all that is left is the stator in the distributor, check and see if you have 12 to 9 volts on the positive side of the coil while cranking and if so, replace the stator.

Customer:

I had 10 volts on positive side of coil while cranking it over, I am not familar with the all of the parts of a distributor, what part is the stator, and what do I need to get the part, the old one or a number.

Ron :

The stator is the only part in the distributor its the part with the three wires running to it just under the relluctor wheel, all you need to order it it year , make and model.

Customer:

Ok I will try that

Ron :

Ok, let me know if you need help.

Customer:

I got the part and took the cover and side off and one of the wire were broke on the magnetic pick-up, do I have to take the distributor out to put that on and is there any trick to taking it apart and putting it back together.

Ron :

No do not pull the distributor, the reluctor wheel pulls up and off with some gentle prying, be sure to not loose the small roll pin when pulling it off, once you have it off, there is a small wire snap ringtheat hold the stator down, also remove the vacuum advance and the one ground screw and it come right out.

Customer:

Thanks Ill give that a try.

Ron :

Your welcome, thank you very much as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs