Earl, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.

Replaced a high-pressure oil pump in my Ford F350 diesel 6.0

Replaced a high-pressure oil pump in my Ford F350 diesel 6.0 that was previously running just had no power and after replacing it the truck will not start. Is there any thing someone can suggest?

How long have you cranked the engine to try and start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I was a way for a while. I cranked the motor for five minutes. I tried a number of times and killed the batteries trying to do so.
Does regular oil pressure gauge come up while cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The oil pressure gauge does come up and I checked the fuel at the filter on top of the motor and fuel is coming into the housing.

Ok then you have one of two things going on either the IPR valve is not working correctly or you have a leak somewhere in the high pressure oil system. The way to test the high pressure system for a leak on this year is to remove the valve covers and install plug in the oil supply line a monitor the ICP while cranking.

I have to run out for about a hour I will give you more information when I return.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am not sure which one the IPR valve is but I did replace the sensor that cost $360 but not the one that is $150 as I looked like it had been replaced not to long ago.

When I replace the high pressure pump I unbolted the pipe on top and rotated it 180 degrees out of the way, removed the old pump, placed the new pump and rotated the pipe back on top. I did not try to remove the pipe so not to creat any type of leak. The one thing that just came to mind is that I had an error P0670 after replacing the pump. I found that I did not plug one of the connectors completely in at the control module at the top right side of the motor. I have corrected that problem and I no longer has the P0670 error. Maybe this information may lead you closer to what the problem maybe. I will look for your responce when you get back.

Do you have access to a scanner that is capable of monitoring sensor data?

The IPR is the regulator, it is the larger one that screws into the pump.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have access to a scanner and I did replace the IPR in that case. I have a microprogrammer and was able to pull the DTS code and right now nothing is being flagger by the computer
Well being that the low oil gauge comes up when you crank the engine tells us that oil is being supplied to the high pressure pump. You know you have fuel at the upper filter. The only other possibility would be a leak in the high pressure system somewhere. Without a scanner to monitor the pressure it is going to be hard to diagnose this concern. The next step would be to remove the valve covers and install the block off plugs in the oil lines and crank the engine while monitoring the pressure. If it builds pressure with the lines plugged then the leak is in one of the heads, if it does not build pressure with the plugs on then the leak is between the head and the high pressure pump. The pipe that you moved 180 degrees to get it out of the way are common to leak at the connection where it pivots after removing it from the pump.

Edited by Earl Cowette on 6/5/2010 at 10:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you I was thinking that I should replace that. I will try that and see what happens. Have a good day.
Alright good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there a priming process that I need to go through after I replace the high-pressure oil pump?

Just normal cranking of the engine is how you prime the system. It usually takes a solid 2 to 3 minutes of cranking for it to start. In 30 to 40 second intervals to prevent overheating of the starter.

Usually after you see the oil pressure gauge come up on the dash it takes about another 1 to 2 minutes to build high pressure oil.