A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

FORD EXPLORER SPORT 2001 MODEL ENGINE 4.0 V6 ,THERE SOME NOISE

Customer Question

FORD EXPLORER SPORT 2001 MODEL ENGINE 4.0 V6 ,THERE SOME NOISE IN THE ENGINE PASSENGER SITE IN THE BACK SITE SOME TIME I HEAR IT AND SOME TIME I WILL NOT .

I HAVE REMOVED THE TOP COVER FOR THE PASSENGER SITE AND I SEE THE BACK OF TIMING CHAIN PIECES OF PLASTIC .
I HAVE REMOVED THE BOLT WHERE HOLD THE PLASTIC AND I TACK IT OUT IT LOOK LIKE THE TIMING GUIDE ,I NEED SOME BODY HELP ME TO FIX THE NEW GUIDE AND GIVE ME PHOTO XXXXX OF THE ENGINE ,AND GIVE ME GOOD IDEA TO FIX THE NEW ONE WITH OUT REMOVING THE CYLINDER HEAD .THANK YOU
By the way the security alarm is working normal that after but the ignition on will go off and if i tray to strat will not

Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

To replace the passenger side timing chain cassette, the engine will have to be removed from the vehicle. You do not have to remove the cylinder head, but the motor does have too come out. There are bolts between the transmission and the engine that you cannot remove without taking the motor out. if you still want the instructions for the passenger side timing chain cassette, I can still post them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks

what i want to replace is not the timing chain , but want replace only the timing guide , and some body tell me no need to remove the engine out , what do you think

The timing chain guide is part of the cassette. It is an assembly.

graphic

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
19424Intake manifold
26A505Valve cover, LH
36A274Camshaft, LH
46050Cylinder head, LH
56M262Jackshaft
66M272Jackshaft chain guide
76M271Jackshaft chain tensioner
86M264Jackshaft sprocket
96M270Jackshaft chain assembly
106A311Balance shaft (4x4 only)
116A311Balance shaft chain tensioner (4x4 only)
126A364Balance shaft chain (4x4 only)
136M289LH cassette
146M290RH cassette
156049Cylinder head, RH
166250Camshaft, RH
176582Valve cover, RH

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Sorry I have not contact you all this time that I am trying solve my car problem , I have replaced the complete engine, and the car started ok , but when I go for test drive after driving abut 5 miles and every think was ok the car is running very fine and the engine was very smooth ,just the car went off , I tray to start again the engine is rolling but not starting , I check the fuel filter its ok fuel is coming from the tank to the filter when I on ignitions fuel is coming from the filter with pressure, I remove when of the spark plug coil and connected it to plug, there is spark and look ok , I tray the fuse box in the engine there is only on fuse is cut and I replace it but the car is the same not starting , but today morning when I go where is the car stopped yesterday, I fix the battery and start the car has started fir 10 second and go off not starting again , pleas do you have solutions for that ????

Thanks

Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

First look at the instrument cluster and look at the "CHECK ENGINE" light. It should come on when the key is turned to on, and go off when trying to crank the engine.

Also getting any codes from the ECU (Engine Computer) will helps us narrow down the problem.

By the way, was the engine you installed used or new?

Edited by APenland on 8/1/2010 at 6:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the replay ,the check engine is coming on when i turen the key and go off when i crank, the engine i fix is used i but was working very fine befor the car go off it gos off as the tank is empty from fuel

See if you can get your hands on a code reader. Some auto parts stores have them, some even loan them out. Get any codes and post them on this page.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry i forget to tell you i have cod es reader , and i use it there is no any code in the car
Ok. So your Explorer stalls and will not start, but cranks over. Is this what it is doing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes sir even the battery is geting week not caring the engine again

By the way , the car battery is run down but when I tray to crank the engine and the kick is clinking not able to role the engine properly , when I return the key back from start to on I here the theft alarm as toooot and is shooing theft in the instrument cluster than gos off , all awhile the ignition is on

You may have a bad alternator. When the battery dies and the alternator is not charging, the vehicle will stall. All the sensors need at least 5 volts to operate the engine Try jump starting the engine with jumper cables.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I will do that but , as I told you before that when the car go off yesterday I tray to start the car for many times rolling and rolling the engine , this what kill the battery, and today morning when tray start the car it has started for abut 10 Scand and go off and I tray to start again and again tell the battery died

Ok. Sorry about that. What all did you use from the used engine?
Just the basic engine, or did you use the engine harness also from the used engine?

What year did the engine come from?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
exactly as my engine and i used my harness becouse the one on the engine i buy is damaged, and i used the compleet engine as it is , even i removed all sansores from my engine and fix it on it

Good. I always recommend doing that when installing a used motor. You might want to look over all the connectors under the hood and all the vacuum lines. Make sure you didn't miss anything.

Also check the fuel pressure on the engine with a fuel pressure guage. There is a connection port on the drivers side near the thermostat housing.

graphic

See what the fuel pressure is when you turn the key on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I think you mean the harness wire is the complete wires and socket round the engine

Yes. Look over everything you unplugged to replace the engine. Even I leave things loose or miss connectors and I have been doing this for 20 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you very match i will contact you tomorrow after i charg the battery and find fuel pressure guage
Keep me informed tomorrow. I'll be back at work tomorrow. So reply and I'll get an email that you have. If not, I'll be back on line tomorrow after 6:00 PM EST.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I fix battery and I check the fuel pressure I discover that the fuel pump is stop working , may be that happened when I tray check the fuses and the relay may be one fuse is blowing , will you pleas direct me to the fuel pump fuse or relay , and in the same time ,the fuel pump wires in case the fuse not faulty , I can check the fuel pump direct

Thanks

ayman

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is my email address aymanbalout@hotmail.com

We cannot comunicate beyond the website. We have to conduct all responses to this site. We can talk beck and forth till your problem is fixed.

What do you mean that the fuel pump has stopped working.

How have you come to the point where you state the fuel pump has stopped working. Can you tell me how you camoe to finding this? Checking fuses, check for power at the pump? More information will greatly help me,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I remove the supply head to the nozzles and I but the ignitions on to do pressure test( as you show me I discover there is no fuel supply there, now I come down the car and I remove the supply from the tank to the fuel filter and I open the ignition there is no fuel coming to the filter , from this point I am thinking that may be I have blowing fuse or bad relay ,because before if I remove that line I get fuel supply, if I but ignition on , even may be the problem is the fuel pump that some time is working and some time is seizing, and this is make the car goes off in the first place , but when I taste it before was working , but this time has top finally

What do you think

It is more likely the fuel pump. The relay and the fuel cutoff switch will not stop working intermittantly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will you pleas direct me to the cut off switch and the fuse

thanks

The cut off switch, we know it as the Inertia Switch. This switch pops the power to the fuel pump when the vehicle is in an accident to stop fuel from spilling in case a fuel line is broken.

It is located behind the passenger side kick panel below the glovebox. Below is a generic picture of the switch. Yours may be different.

graphic

There is a button on the top. Push down on the button and see if you get fuel. Also turn the key on and see if you have power on the DARK GREEN/YELLOW striped wire and then on the PINK/BLACK striped wire. Do this check when you turn the key on.
Let me know what you get. This will tell me if the Fuel Pump Relay is working.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see it when I press the red bottom the fuel is coming and the pressures is good but the car not starting , pleas what I will do the car was working fine what happened

Make sure you have spark from the spark plugs when you have fuel and the Explorer will not start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is spark i test that befor by removing one of the coil i conact it to old plug and i crank the engine and there is spark in that plug but i have not chack the another plug ,what you sujest pleas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Today I call one of my friend work with ford dealer ,and we swap all the sensors cam ,crank and ignitions distributor from my explorer sport trac 2005 to the explorers sport 2001 but the car still not working even we replace all the plugs but is not working , but the plugs in the car was socked with fuel ,what do you think because my friend is saying may be is PCM having problem , but how will have problem just like the , and when I tray the code reader is communicating with the car and not giving any code

abut the spark plug we chack it againe my friend is saying is week becouse of that i swap ignation distrepuer but is same

pleas saloutation

thanks

Double check all the groud connections and the power connections. Make sure all the connectors for the wiring harnesses are completely connected. Poor spark can be caused by a poor connection at the battery negative post. Ground cables to the engine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have ground the engine but is not starting , I check with electric tester meter the continuity from the cam sensor to the battery negative was 0.00 , but if I check the continuity in the second explorer I have between the cam sensor and the battery negative I read 0,08 .

Dos this mean the PCM have problem , i have read this is in replay in just answer its smeller case to this my case , today I will get another used PCM and test it on the car , what do you think.

ayman

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Today my friend prink PCM and key programmed and we fix theme on the car the engine is rolling but starting,its mean the problem not PCM not sensors not ground , do you think we check on the engine timing ,but this engine is very good and start once after fix in it on the car and is working fine , pleas advice

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry i mean is rolling but not starting have not start

Do a couple of test for me. This has been quite an ordeal for both of us.

Try spraying starting fluid into the intake and see if the motor starts.

If not, recheck the spark plugs and see if they are fuel fouled.

I do not want to have you replace the PCM unless we can verify that it is bad.

Answer me this queation.

How did the engine run before all of this happened?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>the engine was very fine and the car has power i can feel this engine batter than the one i remove , , i told you befor the spark plugs was wet with fuel  , even i clean theme from the fuel , but today i fix back my pcm and the key , i round chek some plugs there is fuel on the plug ,but i remeber that plugs on the engine is the one come on it ,but the car was started on theme ,what do you think this old pulgs can stop the car from staring once and make it go off sudenly , pleas help</p><p>thanks</p>

With a weak spark, you either have a poor connection in a harnes connector or the coil pack has failed. I doubt the PCM is the problem.

What other parts do you still have from the new engine, like coil pack, sensors?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THE COIL PACK YOU MEAN THE SPARK COILES OR YOU MEAN THE COMPLEET IGNATION WHERE YOU CONNACT THE SPARK COILS WIRES ,THIS ONE I SWAP IT FROM THE ANOTHER FORD ,AND THE CAR NOT STARTING BUT TOMORROW I WILL OPEN THE COVER PASENGER SITE MAY BE THE TIMING CHAIN ,WHAT DO YOU THINK

No, just the spark plug coil pack. Where the spark plugs connect to.

I would hold off on the timing chain. Lets make sure that is the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I HAVE SWAP THIS PART BEFOR FROM THE ANOTHER FORD EXPLORER TRAC I AHVE BUT DOS NOT START ,WHAT DO YOU THINK KNOW ,I GO TO THE TIMING?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p> </p><p>The chain passenger site is jumping when I turn the engine and I can see the tensioner go front to match and the guide getting lousy , but when I turn the engine more the chain will tension again and I can see the tensioner head go back , what do you think is chine kite is bad or tensioner is bad  </p>

I am just wondering why the engine ran fine in the truck it came out of, and now it will not run in your truck. That was why I was having you check everything over. Also had you check the sensors and coil pack from your old engine to the new one.

I doubt it is timing since you said the engine ran fine and now will not start and the spark plugs are fuel fouled. No codes are in the engine computer, and the check engine light goes out when cranking the engine over.

Does the "THEFT" light for the PATS key flash when trying to start the truck?

How many keys do you have for the truck?

The "THEFT" light is on top of the dash in the center near the windshield. It is just a RED flashing light.

It should not flash rapidly when trying to start the truck.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Security light or theft is red light is going off after I but the ignition on and will not show when I start

but When we check the timing If we turn the engine from the crank shaft and is in the TDC mark and piston 1 and 5 is TDC we notes that cam shaft in 5 not timing that is the mark not facing up , and the came shaft in number 1 is not timing remaining small tell get the timing mark ,for dealer is saying the timing is jump may be the balancer chain has problem ,pleas what do you think

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pleas what do you think

The only way to check the timing of the chains on the engine is to use the recommended tools to check it. There are NO timing makrs on the camshaft gears to check the timing. Checking the piston position only tells you where the piston is in relation tot he timing mark on the crankshaft pulley.
These engines actually have 4 timing chains. 3 int he front of the engine and one in the rear for the passenger side cylinderhead camshaft. If you want the instructions for doing the timing chains, you will also need the special tools to hold the gears and camshafts into place to set the timing.

An easier way is to do a compression test manually on all 6 cylinders and see what the readings are. Do this first before removing anything.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is nose when I turn the engine when the chine retch losing positions chain is losing I can test it in my finger is slaked position back one and the front one ,this will not show you some thing is wrong

and when I turn the engine again the chine will tension back

You may have a bad chain pretensioned or a broken timing chain cassette. Both of these will cause slack in the timing chain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I understand is problem in the engine I fix, but if only tensioners are bad and no problem in the cassette If I replace them only the tensioners ,is baseball for me set the timing with out prinking the engine out of the car , that can I turn etch cam after I slake it to the timing position , pleas advice

You cannot set the timing chains on the 4.0L SOHC engine without the proper alignment tools.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok if i get the the tools i can do it ,with out removing the engine from the car ,this in case only tensioner problem ,but if the casset problem the engine has to be removed

For the front cassette, the engine can stay in the vehicle, the rear passenger side, the engine will have to be removed. Below is a list of the alignment tools needed. They are availible from a company called OTC.

CLICK HERE

Here is a link for the complete kit.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-6488.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i see it but you have not replay me i can do the timing and changing the tensioners with out removing the engine from the car

The tensioners you can do without removing the engine. There are 2 pretensioners. On on the out side of the drivers cylinder head near the thermostat housing and the other is on the back right corner near the right exhaust manifold near the back side on the passenger side cylinder head.

They look like this.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i understand ,but tensioners can make the engine not start , and coast that lettel click noise when i turn the engine and the chain reatch end of the tensioner levle ,becouse this click i heare it only when i turen the engine and the chine geting end of the tensioner level
The tensioners only keep tension on the timing chains. You will get a click if you turn the engine counter clockwise. You are only supposed to hand crank the engine clockwise. Turning it counter clockwise will allow the timing chains to make the noise. The tensioners only hold tension on the timing chains when the engine is running becausethey work off of oil pressure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you mean no problem in this chain what about that the chain there is a positions I feel it in my hand is slaked even I can shift it a bet from the sprocket , its mean this engine dos not have timing problem , ok pleas advice where is the problem , I am stressed man I will not use ford car again is promises

I feel we are at an impass. We have a communication problem. I'll have to OPT OUT and see if another Expert can assist you. We have talked back and forht for several days and have gotten no where. Please wait and see if another Expert can assist you, as I am out of ideas. Please do not reply back to me. If another Expert can help you, they will reply to you. It may take awhile, so please be paitent.