Earl
Earl, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.
29257239

2004 FORD F150 5.4L. REPLACED BOTH TIMING CHAINS.

2004 FORD F150 5.4L. REPLACED BOTH TIMING CHAINS. LOOKING FOR TIMING ALIGNMENT FOR CAM,CAMPHASERS,AND CRANKSHAFT. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Earl replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Here is the procedure for installing and setting the timing on a 5.4 3 valve engine. There is two separate files.

TIMING PROCEDURE CLICK HERE FIRST HALF

TIMING PROCEDURE CLICK HERE SECOND HALF

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So does this mean that if we do the following the timing should be set and aligned?????
1. Crankshaft should be positioned @ 12 o'clock and crank gear with dot @ 7 o'clock.
2. Left hand cam phaser mark "L" is positioned at about 1 o'clock with 2 copper links over the 'L" and one copperlink over the 7 on the inside of the crank gear.
3. Right hand phaser mark "R" should be lined vertical with VTC and 2 copper links over the "R" and 1 copper link over the 7 on the outside of the crank gear.

Regards
Expert:  Earl replied 4 years ago.
There is a dot on the crank gear that the single copper link needs to line up with and the L on the left gear goes in the middle of the double copper link and the R on the right gear goes in the middle of the double copper link. If all these marks line up then you should be good.
Earl, Ford Technician
Experience: Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the great info. We have the left side on and aligned with the mark on the crank gear (one link) and "L" is aligned with (2copper links). The right side is "giving me the blues". When I try to position the "R" by turning the crankshaft when it gets to TDC the mark jumps past where the alignment needs to be. The "R" is either to far to the left or to far to the right. If this were the special tool for the cam phaser that is recommended comes into play??????

Regards
Expert:  Earl replied 4 years ago.
The tool certainly makes it easier however you should be able to get it without the tool. What I do is with crank mark between 6 and 7 o clock put the chain on the crank gear with the XXXXX XXXXXned up and place the chain on the cam gear using a pair of channel lock pliers with a rag between the plier jaw and the cam shaft grab the cam directly behind the cam gear and walk the chain one tooth at a time and once it is were it needs to be hold tension on the chain so it does not slip and then install the tensioner.
Earl, Ford Technician