George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

Where is the thermal fuse for the blower motor on a 2003 Focus

where is the thermal fuse for the blower motor on a 2003 Focus

Hello I will help you with your question,

The thermal fuse is part of the resistor assembly which is mounted next to the blower motor in the HVAC case.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you refering to the resistor block that contols fan speed? Is there an in-line thermal fuse for the heater blower? The blower does not work on any speed.

There is an inline thermal fuse in the resistor assembly. Yes I am refering to the resistor block that controls fan speed.

Do you have a testlight?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a multi-tester. I assume that the resistor must be on the end opposite the plug.

No the resistor is mounted in the box with two screws but I thought you had this diagnosed as you asked the location of the thermal fuse. The blower should work in the high position without the resistor so use your voltmater and check for power on the green/orange and the black/red wires at the blower motor connector with the motor connected (probe from the back of the connector) and the key in the run position.

Let me know what the voltage reading to ground is on each of the wires.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no power to the motor. I have a new motor. There was a burning smell when the motor stopped working which caused me to believe that a thermal fuse burned out. The motor tests good.

If there is no power on the green/orange wire with the key in the run position check the 40 amp F1.64 fuse in the battery junction box under the hood for power in the run position. You may have a blown fuse or a burnt connection. Remember that using a multimeter will show voltage even with a burnt connection that will not allow enough power to run the blower motor. Get power to the motor first then we can work from there

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OH-BOY! Am I embarrased. It was the fuse. I should learn to check the most obvious first. With all the problems that this car has with blower motors, I assumed the worst. I am so sorry that I wasted so much of your time.

The fuse blew for a reason so the motor could have been stuck, may be failing or there was a surge that blew the fuse. It is 40 amps so that is a lot of current. A blown fuse is never the cause, only the result of a problem

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am going to put the new motor in since the old one now runs but is pulling a lot of juice. It has over 100,000 miles on it. I will pay as soon as I get back from the parts store.Thanks again,xxxxxxxxx Sparta, WI

OK, if you need further help I will be here.