Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone

2001 ford escape.With 3.0 liter v6. trouble code p401. possible

2001 ford escape.With 3.0 liter v6. trouble code p401. possible problem, or part to be replaced
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,

There is a very common problem with the tube-mounted Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor.
To test the sensor, monitor output voltage on a scanner or on the Brown/Light Green wire at the sensor. With the sensor c

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

1. Remove the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor.
1 Disconnect the electrical connector.
2 Carefully remove the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor by sliding up and off the EGR tube.

NOTE: The 3.0L (4V) engine is shown, the 2.0L Zetec engine is similar.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
onnected and the key on engine off, it should be close to 1 volt. Then apply 8" vacuum to the port marked "REF" on the sensor and voltage should go over 4 volts. With the sensor disconnected, voltage should be 5 volts on the Brown/Light Green (BR/LG) and Brown/White (BR/WHT) wires and the Gray/Red (GY/R) wire should be ground. If all these readings are correct, check for a sticking EGR valve or vacuum line problems.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
before i except could be a little more clear on checking the valve. Should i check the volt redings on old vave before rmving it if it cks ok then go to the rgr valve.
Well you can check these if you would like to. I can tell you replacing the DPFE sensor should fix this code. I wouldn't waste my time checking it. I feel safe just replacing it.