A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Hook up the starter solenoid./ Which wires go where?

Customer Question

I need to know how to hook up the starter solenoid./ Which wires go where?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The starter solenoid hooks up as follows.

There are 2 large post, the battery cable attatches to the one near the battery.

The cable that goes to the starter attatches to the other post.

All remaining wires attach to the same post as the battery cable from the battery.

The cable from the starter will be the only cable attached to the other post.

The solenoid is a large switch that sends power to the starter to start the truck. Once the truck is running, there is no power on the starter side. That is the reason all remaining wires attach to the battery side of the solenoid. That is probably why your battery did not charge. The wire from the alternator goes to the battery cable side.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok great. almost there . Why can"t I get crank. I only get one click at the solenoid. Thanks so much

Check battery voltage and see if you are getting power to the starter side of the solenoid when cranking.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but there is no voltage drop.
Can you jump the solenoid to make the starter crank the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not exactly sure how to do that. im affraid to cause damage
To jump the solenoid, take a screwdriver with a rubber or plastic handle and touch the screwdriver across the small post to the large post on the battery side. If the relay just clicks, the relay itself could be bad or the starter could be locked up. See if you get power to the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put in a new starter and got it started, butwhen I cut the motor it sounded like the starter tried to turn over but not strong like. So I got under to take a look at the new starter when it started trying to start on its own. so I pulled the neg. I'm sure I got the hook up right. i am concerned about terminal (I)and conections from (b) slightly touching. The neg battery is not connected and the soleniod is still hot as if it is still getting power even when Neg is pulled?
What part is hot, the I small post?