A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I cannot find the egr valve on my 2003 ford ranger. It is apparently

Customer Question

I cannot find the egr valve on my 2003 ford ranger. It is apparently stuck open and the truck won't run. (Similar to my former problem with my iac valve). Is there a quick fix for closing this valve and can you help me locate it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The EGR on your 2003 2.3L Ranger is not the typical looking EGR valve. Yours is located on the back side of the cylinder head near the firewall.

The best way to replace it is to place the vehicle on a hoist and lower the transmission mount and crossmember to pivot the engine towards the firewall. Below is directions for replacing the EGR valve on your Ranger.

CLICK HERE

Also, can you post the code your mechanic got when he tested for codes.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

PO511 Idle Air Control Circuit Malfunction

P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Contril Bank 1 Stuck open

These are the only codes i have for the truck problem, I don't know if they help.

I have a new IAC valve on the truck.

Is there any way that I can get to the EGR without moving the transmission?

You do not have a code for the EGR valve. Don't worry about the EGR valve at this time. Am I correct in reading you are stating the truck does not start?

Is it a crank no start or a no crank?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Crank no start. Dies just after I crank it. I can keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it running, but as soon as i take my foot off the gas, it dies.
Your problem sounds like a sticking IAC (Idle AIr Control) Valve. But I need to make sure you have replaced it. You stated that you had a former IAC problem. Have you and if so when did you replace the IAC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, here is the history.

IAC valve problem (same symptoms) about 6months ago. Replaced IAC valve.

Had a heater hose problem during the winter and the car wasn't used through out the winter. Problem solved.

Was running fine, till alternator went out. Replaced alternator. (About March of the is year)

Runnng fine until current problem, which seems the same as the original IAC issue. Replaced IAC valve(again). Still had problems cranking (it would crank, but would die immediatley after). brought it to mechanic and he told me the EGR valve was stuck open.

I don't want to mess with the Transmission b/c this truck has 200,000 miles and most things are original. If I start moving things I am nervous the aging process is going to speed up. i want to find a way to get to the EGR...or whatever the problem might be... without spending a good about of money b/c the truck isn't quite worth it.

I'm at work today. Don't replace any parts till I check around with a few guys in the shop.

I'll post some info for you in a little while.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

APenland,

I don't think i work this site very well. I think i accepted an answer in mid conversation. I still need a bit of help with the Ranger. If you could give me a little more info, that would be great.

You can still respond back to me after you accept. We can talk back and forth till your problem is fixed or you are satisfied with the response.

Let me know what more help you need.

List the problem the best you can. This will help me help you find the problem.

I've worked for Ford for 18 years. I can find the problem, if not, I have a shop full of techs that I can rely upon.