A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

97 ford f150: the 4.6 engine one of the vehicles..timing chain..leaks

Is the 97 ford f150 with the 4.6 engine one of the vehicles that had problems with the timing chain cover being porous and causing waters leaks?

The timing cover will not allow coolant into the oil. Coolant does not pass through the timing cover on a 4.6L. The engine that had troubles was the 6.8L V10. The coolant passage on the earlier ones near the front of the drivers head would corrode away and cause an external coolant leak but that has since been fixed.

Yours is from a bad head gasket.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I saw a lot of posts on websites mentioning water leak problems caused by faulty timing chain cover 0n the 4.2 6cy 97 f150 so i just assumed my v8 could have the same issue. well my friend is tearing my motor apart now so we will soon find out what`s wrong. i hope its an obvious blown head gasket .
The 4.2L V6 is completely different than your 4.6L V8. The water pump mounts on the timing cover on the V6 and your water pump mounts directly to the engine block.