BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

clogged heater core cause the coolant to leak..cap a couple times

can a clogged heater core cause the coolant to leak from the resavoir tank cap?
ive replaced the cap a couple times but it continues to eventually come loose and let coolant out
Category: Ford
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Greetings,

Any clogged cooling system part can cause it to push out the reservoir. You can test the heater core by getting it up to operating temperature and feeling both hoses, they should be within 10-20 degrees of each other and be VERY hot to the touch. Are you sure the reservoir is not cracked? Let me know if I can help further.

Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is not cracked i watched it come from the cap and the cap was popped off the threading. 6 months ago i had a new radiator put in along with all new lines and thermostat and a new engine cause i blew the motor out from over heating.after everything was replaced my heat didnt work so we flushed out the core and have had heat all winter.i just realized my heat doesnt work again and when the weather is warm out and i shut the car off the cap comes loose and fluid comes out.ive replaced the cap twice and like i said this only happens when the weather is warm out.i think im gonna replace the tank but like i said i just realized there is no heat so im thinking the core is clogged.
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Are both hoses hot? It sounds like the heater core is plugged again, which is very common on this vehicle. I have also seen the reservoir threads strip a little and leak coolant, but not common. It does sound like the heater core is plugged again. Let me know if I can help further.

Bob