John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

I have a 2004 Ford Escape 3.0.It has Cylinder #4 & #6 Constantly

I have a 2004 Ford Escape 3.0.It has Cylinder #4 & #6 Constantly misfiring & It ruined the front pup cat.I replaced the front pup cat & #2,#4.#6 Coils & Plugs!! The injectors are spraying good & good compression 125psi-135psi. No obvious vacuum leaks detected with throttle plate cleaner?? Help!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer technician.
I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Use a noid light and check if the pcm is firing the affected coils. If not replace the pcm. Ford has had some problems with the coils going bad and then causing the coil drivers in the pcm to fail. Since you have replaced the bad coils and the plugs if the coil connector is not pulsing then you have a bad pcm. If you don't have a noid light here is another way to check the coils. Disconnect the coil. With the key on and engine off use a test light and see if one wire has power. Now connect the test light to the positive side of the battery and check the other wire with the engine running. It should pulse, if not replace the pcm.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

-

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can receive payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

-

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey John,thanks for your advise! We will test the coil drivers tomorrow first thing & replace PCM if no pulse found!! If the PCM is Bad can we a used one from salvage yard?? Are they plug & play or need to be learned for passlock or Flashed if pulled from same yr truck same options?? Thanks
Expert:  John Mc replied 4 years ago.

Yes you can use one from a salvage yard but you will have to take to a dealer to have it reflashed and to have the keys programmed to it. You even have to do this with a new one. I would suggest finding one as a new one is over $800! I just did one for a friend with this problem a few weeks ago and my cost was ridiculous!

Thanks,

John Mc

John Mc, Ford Technician