chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

how do I aim the headlights on 2000 Expedition

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today.

I am sending you the information you will need for aiming and adjustment of the headlights. Click on the link below for the info.

Headlight Aiming

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This answer does not solve the problem--it is the adjustment of the unit itself that is not clear--there are no adjustment screws that I can find and the attachment screws with the plastic collars don't seem to move the unit--
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
No you cannot adjust the headlights if its a sae light. 99% of the time they are sae lights not optical. If there is not adjustment then you cannot adjust the lights
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Don't understand that--there must be a way to adjust the aiming of the lights--since they are not aimed now the way that they were. the aim has shifted over the years--now lower and more toward the center than previously--left only is what I notice
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
I would make sure the light is in the headlamp correctly and not broken and moved some. There is no adjustment because its bolted straight on the grill cradle or radiator cradle. And its held on by 2 slide on pins so it doesnt move. If the light connector is ok i would see if the cradle is cracked
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that's not correct--my light unit is held in place by three threaded pins that have an adjustable plastic collar on each--the pins are secured by two "L" shaped plates that slide down to secure the threaded pins--

inspection reveals nothing broken and the new bulb that I installed is seated securely in the socket

Ken

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
I am going to opt out and see if another tech can help you. Maybe they have a better answer for you. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry--do I need to do anything or will you transfer the question to another tech?

Ken

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.
just stay tight and someone will be with you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  chris replied 4 years ago.

Hi there

Take a look at the pic below

graphic

each headlamp assembly is held to the body of the truck by two vertical metal bars ,,, when you slide these bars up ,,this will release the headlamp assembly and you can remove it ,,, now looking at the back side of the headlamp assembly you will see that the outer metal bar holds two posts on the headlamp assembly,,, the top post is your adjustment screw for making the headlamp adjustment for up and down --so to move this headlamp up or down you can screw this post in and out ... the bottom post on that same side is for the adjustment of left and right ,,, screw this in and out to adjust the headlamp to the left and right ... most of the time your adjustment is either to high or to low ,,, so you do not have to remove the headlamp to adjust this ,,,just use a pliers or a dike to grab on to the top post adjustment and turn it in and out to adjust the headlamp up and down

any more info just ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

understand--the top post is very difficult to move--which way should I move it to raise the beam? understand that the bottom outside post is lateral movement--same question--which way to I move it--(am I really moving the plastic collar that is on the threaded posts?)

Ken

Expert:  chris replied 4 years ago.

the top upper post that the outer metal bar holds in place , is for the up and down , the post should have a plastic insert that metal bar grabs on to ,,, then out of the center of the plastic insert is a metal threaded post,,, the threaded metal post is what you turn to make the headlamp go up and down , with a dike or pliers ,,and the plastic insert should not move while you turn this ,,,, turn the threaded post inward ( tighten ) to make the headlamp go down ,,,turn the metal post outward ( unscrew ) to make the headlamp go up

the bottom inward post( toward the radiator ) ,( that you cant even get to unless you remove the headlamp ) is for the left and right ,, turning it inward makes it go right ,,, and turning it outward makes the headlamp go left

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience