Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2004 ford explorer: fuses, relay..jump start..screwdriver

2004 ford explorer, no power to starter...battery is good, fuses, relay are all good, ignition modual is new, digital transmission receiver sensor new. I did jump start the starter with a screwdriver which turned the motor, but nothing. Am I missing a sensor and if not what do you think can be wrong? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

With all you have replaced, its eaither a wiring issue and or a blown fuse, there are 2 that I want you to check, the F1-12 in the battery junction box and the F2-29 in the interior fuse panel. If the both check ok, then move to the MLP (trans sensor) and see if you have power in and power out to the relay (red/lite blue in and white.pink out to the relay).

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Checked the fuses and they are all good. I repleace the MLP today. There is power going in(orange wire) when the key is turned, but no power going out from any wires. I did check the relay and there is zero power their also, but of corse there wouldn't be... My check engine light did pop on a few days before the explorer died...I was stupid and disconnected the battery, so I have zero codes to go off of.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
The orange wire isnt the crank wire, you need to have a helper hold the switch in the crank mode and see if the red./blue wire is hot going in from the switch and the white/pink wire coming out to the relay. Let see if we can get it cranking as it may start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, there is power coming into the trans sensor and power going out to the relay. But there is still no power reaching the starter.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Ok then let move to the starter relay and see if we have it in and out. White/pink in to the relay and yellow/light blue out to the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok...that was a pain in the @##. The white pink coming in has no power.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Ok, if the white/pink wire coming in has no power, you have an open circuit from the Trans sensor (MLP) to the relay, rather then try and strip the harness down, try running an over lay (new wire) from the range sensor the relay and see if it starts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have some new 18 gage wire...will that work?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Yes that should be fine. dont cut any wires, just over lay it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dam...i was wrong. White/pink has power...however yellow/blue has none. The relay is a new...
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Well the Orange wire is the ground from the PCM, try quickly grounding it and see if the relay energizes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nice...grounded the orange wire and car cranked, but would not start...could it be the pcm?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Is the anti light flashing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
anti light? I think that your talking about our anti theft light. When we crank it with the orange grounded it does not flash, but stays steady
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
When you turn the key on, what is it doing? (not cranking) Yes I meant the anti theft light.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the car is cranking when the orange wire is grounded, but as soon as I remove the ground it stops cranking.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Yes but when you leave the ground off, and just turn the key on, what happens with the anti theft light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
99% certain that it stops flashing and stays a steady as well. I will go check to confirm.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Please
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is the same and does not flash.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Ok then yes you likely have a PCM issue, if you are sure the system is reading the key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im sure that it is reading the key
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Ok , then for some reason the the PCM isnt grounding the PCM, and when this happens, it will not run the fuel pump eaither and that why it will not start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok...ill go and check the fuses and wires and make sure that everything is connected
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Its connected if it cranks with the orange wire connected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
crap...where should I start?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Start with having the PCM scanned and see if you have any stored codes, also , does the check engine light go out when you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cant find my scanner, but yesterday there were zero codes stored when I ran a scan. That is my fault. I did not think that disconnecting battery would not remove everything.

The engine light does go off when it is cranking though...
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Yes if you removed the battery you did erase them, you are looking for a B1601. is this your truck or a customer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my wife's...
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
Ok lets just for kicks make sure her key dosnt start it eaiter and if it dosnt, then you likely have a Bad PCM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it doesnt...thanks for your help. why do you think that it is the pcm and not soething else. because the engine light went out?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 years ago.
No the check engine light is suppose to go out, The Key sends a signal to the PCM and the PCM grounds the relay. If the key is good and there are no codes, the PCM isnt seeing a ground from it or the PCM is bad, the ground comes from the PCM. I
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs