Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

98 explorer: suddenly wont start..diagnostics..key turned..fuel pump

98 explorer suddenly won't start. Friend with diagnostics says 'ignition tamper'. When key turned, fuel pump does not run. Wife expecting baby ANYTIME, need car to start. What can I do?? Is there a reset procedure or tamper override? Can I disable the immobiliser to get me going??  OR, could I just wire up the fuel pump to a manual switch to get it running?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Does the theft light flash rapid when trying to start the vehicle?

If so then there is not an override nor hot wire option since the computer has shut all of the fuel supply and distribution system down. This vehicle must be towed to a ford dealer to get the keys (2) reprogrammed to the vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, the theft light goes off after 3 seconds (As it should, I think) but I get no buzz from fuel pump. I changed a faulty maf sensor yesterday, test drove the car and it was fine. Left around 2 hours, went to start it and it turns over but does not fire. Seems to be no pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel line. My friend with the diagnostic machine said it was showing an ignition tamper fault but he could not reset it?? The car is in UK and I only have 1 key and a remote fob.
If its showing a fault, then the computer believes that someone is trying to steal it so it has shut the pump and injectors down. If I knew the actual code it was setting and not the description I could assist more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No idea of the fault code. So it shuts the injectors and the pump down?? I was thinking if I could put a live feed to the pump, would it run but presumably it won't if the injectors are down too? I can't even get the car to a dealer as it won't start.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Had another go earlier, heard a bleeping tone and the light WAS flashing quickly when cranking the engine.
The only way to get it to a dealer is by towing it on a wrecker. You will not be able to apply power to any of the wires to make it drivable since its a computer controlled vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Had key checked today by local key supplier/locksmith and it's fine?? Called out auto electrician, ended up putting a direct supply onto the fuel pump (From the inertia switch) and the car started?? Now wired a temporary feed from an ignition switched feed, car starts every time.
Glad you got it resolved