Earl, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.

2004 f-250: started running..conditioner..loud metallic knock

Customer Question

i am working on a 2004 f-250 with 6.0 powerstroke with 70k
filled yesterday am started running poorly changed fuel filter added a fuel conditioner today running even worse has a loud metallic knock and smokes a lot
smoke starts as a grey then turns to black as i accel
Category: Ford
Expert:  Earl replied 5 years ago.

Is the check engine light coming on?

Have you had it checked for codes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the check engine light is not on i have not checked for codes i did shoot temps on the exhaust manifolds last night and the two rear cyls on the pass side where about 120 degrees hotter than the rest of the cyls that was at about 1200 rpm and a heavy gray smoke. Also at idel there is a dull hollow sound in the exhaust that comes and goes intermittently
Expert:  Earl replied 5 years ago.
Well without having any code information or running any tests, I would guess you have a EGR valve concern. This is the most common cause of black or grayish smoke. They can become carboned up and not fully close and cause this concern.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i went a ckecked there are no codes
this is the first 6.0 i have worked on usally 7.3's where is the egr at on this engine and is it servicable or does it just need replaced ? Does emissions warranty cover this ?
Expert:  Earl replied 5 years ago.

The EGR valve is located on the intake manifold between the alternator and oil filter. It has a electrical plug on the top. I would recommend to remove it and inspect for carbon build up and the valve not being fully closed. It it is carboned up or the valve does not seem to be fully closed then it would need to be replaced. If it looks OK the more diagnosis would need to be done. The next test would be a fuel pressure test.

The diesel warranty is on good for 5 years or 100,00 miles. and 2004 model would be out by time.

The other thing that has me slightly wondering is you said this happened after a fill up. Are you certain it was filled with diesel and not gas? This could also be a symptom of gas in the diesel fuel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what does flat rate call for to change injector on 6 liter
Expert:  Earl replied 5 years ago.

Here are the labor times for replacing the injectors

PartOEM PartPrice
Fuel Injector
Injection Nozzle
To 9/22/033C3Z9E527EBRM$257.78Notes
From 9/22/034C3Z9E527AA$293.16Notes
Fuel Injector
Injection Nozzle, TestB0.00.1Notes
Injection Nozzle
One Or All
Right SideB2.02.8Notes
Left SideB1.72.1Notes
Both SidesB3.54.9Notes
With Dual Alternators, AddB0.30.4Notes
Right SideB3.65.2Notes
Left SideB1.72.1Notes
Both SidesB5.17.3Notes
With Dual Alternators, AddB0.30.4Notes