Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

2000 Ford Escort: Stalls..Idle OBD Code Is p152..Cars..Shop Manual

Customer Question

Daughter Has 2000 Ford Escort Stalls At Idle OBD Code Is P1520.
I Have A Fairly Good Ability To Work On Cars (Older Ones Mainly)
What Needs To Be Done And Any Parts To Buy ?
Please Give A Shop Manual Type Of Answer With Photos.
Also If Nothing Is Done What Could Happen ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
This code is present when the intake manifold runner control actuator is bad.

1. At the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) actuator, check for battery voltage on the Red/Light Green (RD/LG) wire and ground on the Gray/Red (GY/RD) wire. Repair either circuit as needed.

2. If the power and ground are OK, monitor the voltage on the Brown (BN) and White/Red (WH/RD) wires with a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM) on each. At idle, the BN wire should show close to battery voltage, the WH/RD wire should show about 2.5-5v.

3. Raise the engine RPM to about 3500 and recheck the readings. The BN wire should be less than 1v (indicating the PCM is grounding it), the IMRC actuator should actuate, and the voltage on the WH/RD should also drop to less than about 1v. If the BN wire is being grounded by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) as it should and either the IMRC actuator does not operate or the voltage on the WH/RD wire doesn't drop, check for any binding in the linkage and replace the actuator as needed.

The Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Electric Actuated system consists of a remote mounted motorized actuator with an attaching cable for each housing on each bank. Some applications will use one cable for both banks. The cable or linkage attaches to the housing butterfly plate levers. The 2.0L (2V) Focus/Escort IMRC uses a motorized actuator mounted directly to a single housing without the use of a cable. Each IMRC housing is an aluminum casting with two intake air passages for each cylinder. One passage is always open and the other is opened and closed with a butterfly valve plate. The housing uses a return spring to hold the butterfly valve plates closed. The motorized actuator houses an internal switch or switches, depending on the application, to provide feedback to the PCM indicating cable and butterfly valve plate position.

Below approximately 3000 rpm , the motorized actuator will not be energized. This will allow the cable to fully extend and the butterfly valve plates to remain closed. Above approximately 3000 rpm , the motorized actuator will be energized. The attaching cable will pull the butterfly valve plates into the open position. Some vehicles will activate the IMRC near 1500 rpm .

WARNING: SUBSTANTIAL OPENING AND CLOSING TORQUE IS APPLIED BY THIS SYSTEM. TO PREVENT INJURY, BE CAREFUL TO KEEP FINGERS AWAY FROM LEVER MECHANISMS WHEN ACTUATED.

graphic

Special Service Tool(s)

Removal

1. WARNING: Fuel supply lines will remain pressurized for long periods of time after engine shut down. This pressure must be relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines or fuel system components. Relieve the fuel pressure.

1. Use Disconnect Tool or equivalent and disconnect the fuel supply line from the fuel injection supply manifold rail.

1. Disconnect the intake manifold runner control (IMRC) actuator electrical connector.
  2. Remove the intake manifold.

1. Disconnect the four fuel injector electrical connectors.

1. Remove the intake manifold runner control (IMRC).
  2. Remove the two bolts and remove the fuel injection supply manifold, if necessary.

1. Remove the three bolts and remove the IMRC actuator, if necessary.

Installation

1. Install the IMRC actuator, if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I Also Asked "Also If Nothing Is Done What Could Happen ?"
And Your Answer Is.....
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well actually I was thinking, this code really isn't known for making a vehicle stall.
So I am thinking there might be another issue. (2nd issue)
Was the engine light on when the vehicle started stalling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes It Is On. It Came On While She Was Going From Ft. Campbell To Birmingham.
She Said It Runs Fine Until She Stops At A Light Or When She First Starts Up In The Morning Then It Stalls.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well I have to be honest, the problem sounds like an idle air control valve.
Kinda odd the engine light came on the same time the problem has started.
Check for a leaking PCV valve or vacuum leaks and make sure that isn't causing a stall.
Im guessing you do not have the car so I know you can't check it now. Was the IMRC code the only code?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She Had It Checked At Two Differant A-Zones And That Was The Only Code That Showed Up.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Gotcha, well have her check the pcv valve ask her if it's broken.
graphic
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You Were Correct About Vacuum Leak.
Rubber Elbow At Top Of Valve Cover Had A Leak.
Fixed It With Permatex 'High-Temp' RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.
Now Runs Great And Engine Light When Off.
Go Up To The Chalkboard And Put A Gold Star Next To Your Name.
Thank You Tim West. I Will Ask For You Next Time.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Great, that is strange that it fixed the engine light as well. I really didn't think it would. Hey it did and the problem is fixed that's great. I am glad you didn't replace the IMRC because that's what the code was saying.
Either way, I am glad it worked.