Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

1995 ford escort: overheated..Found cooling fan reley..fried..relay

Customer Question

1995 ford escort 1.9 overheated. Found cooling fan reley in box fried. carefully removed four wires from box and routed outside of box with known good relay.replace T stat and ect sensor.Cooling fan still not coming on. I am at stopping point. where do test next, or check for at this time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

Hi, your Escort has 2 additional relays located on the left fender apron, they are used to control the cooling fan, one for high speed, one for low speed . Fist thing to check would be make sure that the relay you replaced is operating,if not check all fuses. Then make sure your fan motor is operational by jumpering it to battery power, replace if needed. Then check the rest of the circuit and relays using the wiring diagram.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a good fuse and relay, beacause I was able to carefully remove relay cover and manually closed contacts, the fan turns on. I found the low and hi speed relays at fender well area. Blue for high, black for low, now what?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.
If you manually close the cooling fan power relay and the fan operates, it confirms the fan motor and low and or high speed relays are operating. it indicates you have a problem with the power relay or possibly the 15 amp fuse.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I conformed that the fan kicks on when I manually closed the contacts at cooling fan relay, so obviously it's good as well as the 40a fuse, not 15a. My concern is why fan not coming on At operating temp. I need your help why it's not working.
p
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

The 40 amp fuse supplies the power to the fan, if it were blown closing the relay manually would not allow the fan to run. The 15 anp fuse is used for suppling power to control the relay, if it is blown the relay wont turn on. The other 2 relays are controlled by the PCM. If you ground the blk/red wire at the power relay it should click on and send power to the low and high relays, The pcm will turn on the relays when the fan is needed.Use the diagram I sent to identify the wires at the relays for testing.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So your saying, I have a bad PCM?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.
Hi Anthony, not saying you have a defective PCM. You need to check the operation of the power relay .It supplies the power out through the light green./blk wire .Please refer to the diagram I sent,don't buy or replace any parts until you get the power relay operation confirmed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My battery drained, recharging now.
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.
OK, remember, you need key on power at the black and white wire at the relay, a ground on the black and red, when you have this, the relay should be activated which will connect the input from the 40 amp fuse to the output going to the other 2 fan relays.