James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Instructions on how to change the rear axle on my Ford F150

Customer Question

I have a Ford f150 4x4 and I am changing the rear axle seals. I have it all apart but I can't get the axle out. Is there a pin or key that holds it in?

Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 years ago.

Hi. There are c-clips that hold in the axles. You need to remove the rear diff cover. Then there is a pin held in by a 3/8 bolt. Remove the bolt and slide the pin out. If it is a posi rear end there will be an "S" clip that has to be removed. Once that is removed, or if it was never there, you will see a c-clip on each side of the pinion gears. Just push the axles in a bit, and pull the clip out. Then the axle slides right out. I'll try and attach a section from the shop manual also.

Thanks

Axle Shaft Printable View (232 KB)

Removal

1. WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the RH kick panel area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

Raise and support the vehicle.
  1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  1. Remove the differential housing cover (4033).
  1. Remove the brake calipers and discs.
  1. Remove the differential pinion shaft (4211).
    1. Remove and discard the differential pinion shaft lock bolt.
    1. Remove the differential pinion shaft.

1. CAUTION: Do not damage the rubber O-rings in the axle shaft grooves.

Remove the U-washers (4N237).
    1. Push the axle shafts (4234) inboard.
    1. Remove the U-washers.

1. CAUTION: Do not damage the wheel bearing oil seal (1177).

Remove the two axle shafts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can you send me any photos? I do have limited slip posi.

I checked all the rear end options for your truck. Your rear end does have posi but it doesn't use the spring I was talking about. It has clutch backs in the side spider gears. I will send pictures of the procedure.

Thanks

graphic

graphic

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.