Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2000 ford focus: zetec..revving really high 3500rpms..changing TPS.

2000 ford focus Zetec, revving really high 3500rpms after changing TPS.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Was it idling high before you installed the new TP sensor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The start with making sure you have the TP installed properly and not 180 degrees out. Try try removing the TP sensor from the throttle body while its plugged in, if the idle drops back to normal then you have it installed wrong. If it dosnt then you likely have a bad or defective TP sensor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Idle doesn't drop when TPS is plugged in but off the Throttle body, the wiring harness prevents from installing 180 degrees off.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Ok then its not the TP sensor, I would now move to the IAC (idle air control) valve and try unplugging it and see if the idle drops. Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I was trying different things. The IAC is under the throttle Body almost in the Intake Manifold not very easy to get at. Now I think it's the TPS because no with it off I can get the rpm's down and when I touch the TPS it alters the rpm's. So I wondering why a brand new part has failed like that???
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
I have seen brand new parts fail, if it will idle down with the TP off, then its likely the TP and not the IAC.