connor75, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior master technician, Ase master L1

1991 ford taurus: original only..000 original miles..slips

Is it possible for a transmission filter to get plugged I have a 1991 ford taurus I bought for my daughter from Grandma she was original owner car only has 40,000 original miles and did not move for long periods of time car now slips in and out of gear.
Category: Ford
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
Good evening, I am going to have to say yes, and no all at the same time. If the filter was to plug up, then what would it plug up with? Clutch or metal, both extremelly bad, so even if it did, there would be much bigger problems. Now what exactally does it do? Does it appear to go into neutral when you come to stops? Have you checked the color and level of the fluid?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
color and levels or fine it goes into neutral while driving then back to drive sometimes it will do it a lot sometimes it takes a while
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like a cracked forward clutch piston, but given the year of the car it may be more cost effective to swap in a salvaged transmission.