Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

1999 lincoln navigator: air shocks/suspension went out..air bags

Customer Question

1999 lincoln navigator: air shocks/suspension went out. looks like a low rider. how can I replace air bags on back shocks?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Are you sure the bags are leaking? Or is the compressor bad (more common)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

not sure if compressor is bad or not, but looks like bags are leaking. the truck typically is lowered in back in drive way, apparently the air leaks out of bags when sitting, then when I start engine, the compressor usually kicks on, the airs bags & back end lifts back up to normal.

Yesterday the compressor did not kick on when I started truck & the rear end stayed lowered down when I drove it. Really bounce & dangerous. I drove it earlier today & much later, when stopped at red light, the compressor kicked on & raised the rear end to normal again. not sure what needs to be replaced. sounds like bags are leaking.

Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Well if the bag was bad, you would have a sag on one side, unless both rear air bags are bad. The relay is common for failing, since you are having an intermittent problem with the pump running, this might be the solution.
graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thx very much. I can get relay at ford dealer & try just replacing it the air compressor relay, since both sides lower.
Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
That would make the most sense at this point.
Thank you for the accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i found there is a air hose connector next to master cylinder, was cracked & appears to be the cause of leak. $30 at dealer. I took relay in to dealer & they cannot check relay off vehicle, requiring diag $100+ charge, but looks to be working anyway.

truck was normal level this morning in driveway!

thx 4 making me investigate problem & saving me $$$.

Expert:  Tim West replied 6 years ago.
Hey, sorry I didn't hit it on the nose. Either way I am glad to save you the money.
Just keep that in mind, if you had a blown air bag, it would only sag on one side.
Thank you very much