Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

Have a 2001 ford f250 diesel. Cigarette lighter does not work.

Have a 2001 ford f250 diesel. Cigarette lighter does not work. (it worded up until yesterday). Could not find fuse that worked with lighter, even though I pulled every fuse in power distribution box. All were o.k. Prior to pulling all fuses, I checked book to see where fuse was located within box. There was no number indicated for the cigarette lighter, but there was one for the power point. So what am I missing here?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

the first thing to check would be fuse number 3 in the inside fusebox, replace if that is blown and install a 20A fuse if other was in it before. If that is good then check for power at the center pin of the socket,all the way at the bottom, ensure not to touch the same metal probe to the side as this is conencted to ground and will actually blow the fuse if shorted. If the center pin has power then replace the cigar lighter itself

Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are appreciated & would make my day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I stated in my original inquiry, all fuses were o.k. As you say to check #3 fuse I did. It is a 7.5 amp fuse. The book says that the #3 fuse is for trailer tow right/turn lamp. As for replacing the ligher; it was being used to recharge our cell phone at the time it went out. It has never been used to heat lighter. Power box I am looking at is on page 172 of my owners guide. Even though there are two diagrams of fuse boxes within that guide book; this is the one that mirrors my fuse box. The one you are having me check is on page 169 of owners manual and does not match my fuse box.

i am looking at the 2001 F250 electrical diagram direct from the Ford site and the Cigar lighter (not the powerpoint) is powered through fuse number 3, though it should be a 20 amp fuse, 7.5 is waayyy to small for use to protect a lighter socket, it would blow instantly.

i have posted the wiring diagram below for you to review,to ensure we are both referring to the same '#3' fuse, it is located thrid from top, left row of fuses

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The above diagram is not the fuse box I have in my truck. The #3 fuse is located second from bottom. there are 12 small fuses side my side. above those 12 are seven very large fuses. ON the right side of that, there are 10 spots for very large fuses. The #3 spot you are showing me is on page 169 of owners manual and is not my fuse box. MY owners maual, page 172 (which is the diagram for my fuse box), does not show a fuse for the cigarette lighter. It does show one for my power point, which is a 20 amp fuse. I can definitely understand the confusion here. Don't know why my owners guide would show two different fuse boxes, but I do know the one you are referencing, is not the one I have in my truck. Sorry.
the one i have retrieved is for the 2001 model direct from Ford so i cannot dispute the application and accuracy of the diagram, as it is correct. It could be that maybe you have an early build '02 or a late build '00? if you could provide me the VIN number i could run it through Ford's online database to get the correct build date to see if that might clarify things
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The vin is: 3ftnx20f21ma10545. Signing off for tonight.

i have run the VIN number and it is a late build '00 but should fall under '01 model, i have posted the OASIS report so u mayhave thois information for future refference, there is also an open recall on your truck as well, tcontact your local dealer and inquire about the 09S09 recall, your vehicle has the recall ative on it. AS far as your description of the fusebox, are you looking at the exterior underhood fusebox or the interior. I am referring to the interior

OASIS RESULT:
3FTNX20F21MA10545

USA
EN

04/17/2010
03:02:16
FCXWS446

© Copyright 2002-2010 Ford Motor Company. All rights reserved.

VEHICLE INFORMATION
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
2001 F-SERIES
BODY STYLE
F-250 SUPER CAB 4X2
ENGINE
7.3L TURBO - DI
TRANSMISSION
4R100 4SP (DIESEL)
AXLE CODE
ENGINE CALIBRATION
1F719N0A
PAINT COLOR
OXFORD WHITE SOLID C/C
RADIO
ELETR PREM STRO/CSTE/DISC/CLK
GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT
8800 LB. GVW
AXLE RATIO
3.73 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
WHEEL SIZE
7.0 X 16" CHROME CLAD STL WHEL
FRONT TIRE
LT265/75R-16E OWL A-S

WARNING MESSAGES
VERIFY STATE REGISTRATION, VIN MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS WTY
ARN MESSAGES
GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY START DATE
01/04/2001
BUILD DATE
10/11/2000
SALE MILEAGE
00059
OUTSTANDING FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
09S09
SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION
EXTENDED COVERAGES
0778 - EXPIRED
STANDARD DEDUCTIBLE: 50 USD
OWNER NAME: DONALD HORTON
OPTIONS:
EXPIRATION DATE: 01/04/2006
DISTANCE: 60,000
RENTAL: 28 UP TO 5 DAYS
TOWING: 0 USD
CONTRACT SOLD BY: USA 05557
ESP CONTRACT START DATE: 01/04/2001

WARRANTY REPAIR HISTORY
NO RECENT REPAIR HISTORY ON VEHICLE
| On-line 1878
END OF OASIS REPORT FOR 3FTNX20F21MA10545
Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. You are correct about looking under hood. Did not look at interior. Obviously thats where no whole problem lies. Will look for interior fuse box. Sorry about the confusion. You have been very patient and quit informative. Thanks again.
you are very welcome, sometimes it is just miscommunication , my apolagies. Glad i was able to help resolve the concern. Please DO remember to have this recall performed on your vehicle as it can leave you without cruisecontrol or ABS, or could possibly cause an underhood fire. If you havent already done so, please leave positive feedback, i would greatly appreciate it