CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

2000 Ford Windstar: Van..choke..always happen..the car engine is

Our 2000 Ford Windstar Van (V8)has some kind of fuel problem.

3 times, recently, the motor would "choke out" after it had been started. It does not always happen, but when it does it is after the car engine is cold or after it has been off for 2-4 hours or so.

It has not happened while driving. A local mechanic can find nothing in the computer analysis, nor can he get the car to repeat the problem. Wife is afraid to drive the van on any long trips; she takes several such trips a month.   Ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 4 years ago.

Hell and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Intermittent problems are very hard to diagnosis. I believe it is a fuel pressure problem and possibly the fuel pump not keeping the fuel rail pressurized for start-up. Unfortunally the only way to properly diagnosis is to have a fuel gauge on the vehicle when the car doesn't start or chokes out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It seems there is no way to confirm a diagnosis as the problem is so intermittent as to make it impossible to appropriately test the fuel pressure.

It would appear the car may not be safe to drive in that she could get stranded somewhere and "maybe" not be able to restart the car or keep it running.

Would it make sense to just replace the fuel pump? If so, what would be the rough estimated cost to do that? Is this problem covered by any recall notices she may have overlooked? Could it be something other than the fuel pump itself...such as a fuel filter or something?? Can one remove the fuel pump and then tell by examining it that it is not functioning properly?

I was going to suggest replacing the fuel pump. But you do run the risk of it not fixing the problem. But I am confident the pump is the cause. Replaing the pump will run around $500. You can try replacing the fuel filter first as it is cheap to do so, but I do not beleive it is the problem. You cannot tell if the fuel pump is bad by just looking at it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it be the fuel injectors? She has not had them cleaned, as far as I know, in the many years she has owned the car.

Replacing the fuel pump is costly. If it is the fuel pump, why has it only happened 3 times over a 3 week period and it is not happening now? I am inclined to go for a fuel injector cleaning and then see what happens.

You are confident it is the fuel pump, but if it is not the fuel pump...what could it be?

You have been helpful, please reply to my questions then I will accept the answer. Ed
Yes, fuel injector is possible. They are rare to go bad on the motor. An injector cleaning is a good idea even if it is not the cause of the problem as they should be cleaned about every 30,000 miles. A start and stumble/stall is 99% of the time a fuel issue. Glad I could help you out this far.
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified