Andy I
Andy I, Senior Master Ford Technician
Experience:  14 years in dealership, ASE Master Tech= drivability, AC, steering&suspen, electrical, engine repair

1996 Ford F250: Spongy brake pedal..master cylinder..same problem

1996 Ford F250 gasoline truck. Spongy brake pedal when engine is running. Replaced master cylinder, bled brake lines and still have the same problem. When the engine is off the pedal is very firm. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Andy I replied 6 years ago.
you need to try to inspect the front rubber lines that go to the front calipers for any swelling while applying brakes, if these are ok i would bleed system real good again and adjust the rear brakes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information, and sorry it took so long to get back. What we found is that the brake line on the right had absolutely no movement when depressing the brake pedal but the left one did.

We replaced the front bleeders as they were not bleeding well and after bleeding them the brakes have improved brake pedal, not 100%, but improved. Both front lines now have movement. We bled them in this order R rear, L rear, abs module, R front, and L front and used 1 1/2 small containers of brake fluid.

Do you recommend since we have some pedal improvement, to continue bleeding? How much is fluid is customary to go through?

What happened is that several years ago a shop changed the brake line. The pedal has been like that ever since even after taking it back. This is the first time we have seen progress.

I am very pleased with your help thus far and after an answer to this reply will gladly click the accept button. Thanks!!!