Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2004 Ford explorer V6 4 wd. Engine will not rev past 2000 rpm

2004 Ford explorer V6 4 wd. Engine will not rev past 2000 rpm even in neutral. Pulls down to 10-15 mph going up hill, no more than 30 mph on the flat. Throttle unresponsive. Problem started out as missing engine than went downhill from there, all in a span of 1 hour on a 2 1/2 hour trip on the interstate.
Category: Ford
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
What is the code, do you know?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
Autozone will scan for free, can you get to one? The code is very important to fixing this, it sounds at face value to be a coil concern and possibly a catalytic converter, but need code to proceed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try and get to auto zone. It will take approximately 1 hr.
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
I will be here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I have 12 codes. The AutoZone guy was shocked, said he had never seen one with so many codes. P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0305 P0306 P0132 P0053 P2195 P0316 P0128. That's 11, he may have missed one in the 300 series.
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.

Thats every cylinder misfire!

What does this thing sound like when its running, is there a rattle noise?

Sounds to me like possibly you have jumped time on the timing chain.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It starts and runs at idle but when you rev the engine it get up to around 2k rpms and starts missing alot. What about the crankshaft position sensor, that was one of the other codes? No rattling noise.
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.
Crankshaft position sensor would cause a no-start or stall, not this, and none of those codes are for the crankshaft position sensor, they are for all cylinder misfire, 316 is random misfire (I believe this is the one they told you is crank position) and then the rest are for o2 sensor 1,1 and thermostat not reaching operating temp. When you rev it up and its skipping does the check engine light flash? Does the car backfire under acceleration?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
316 is the one it says is the crankshaft position sensor. They printed out all the codes and causes. 316 says crankshaft position sensor is bad. Yes, check engine light flashes when it is missing badly but does not flash all the time. No backfire when I accelerate. It will accelerate fairly smoothly until it hits 2k rpm, if it goes above 2k sudden lose of power and it will drop back down to 2k pressing the accelerator does nothing.
Expert:  connor75 replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I have to be going, I realize that one of the causes listed as far as 316 goes is damaged ckp sensor, I have never seen it.

You have a misfire and a pretty bad one at that

You need a scan tool to view spark data, chances are you may have one or two cylinders that are misfiring, and it is affecting the rest of the cylinders. The other possibility is that the engine jumped time. Without viewing the pattern to see what actually is misfiring and finding out why, coil, wire or injector you are shotting in the dark.

316 means that the engine misfired at start up, you already know that much, it is not like a code specifically for a ckp sensor or circuit.graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
forward this thread to another person who can give me a solution to the problem
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here. I believe your misfire which was the origin has caused alot of unburnt fuel to go to the catalytic converters and they have now clogged up and are restricted. To test for clogged converter you remove the upstream O2 sensors and start the engine and see if it will rev up. If it will then your will need new converters. This is just a test, don't drive it this way. It will just check to see if opening the exhaust prior to the converters will allow the exhaust to expel unblocked.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, so what caused it to start missing in the first place? I understand the missing caused the unburned fuel to clog the converter it even tells you that in the owner's manual.
A misfire can be caused by a plug or coil or plug wire failing. It can also be caused by a fuel injector spraying poorly or stuck open. It can also be carbon buildup on the valves causing a valve to stick open.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much missing before the converter gets clogged up? What's the fix for the clogged converter?
To fix a clogged converter you must replace it. You cant replace the plasma nor catalyst inside. It must misfire on at least one cylinder for about 10 minutes to clog up a converter which is already old.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience