Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

1993 Ford: Odometer alternates between error code 3 and mileage

1993 Ford E350. Odometer alternates between error code 3 and mileage. What is this telling me? How to fix it???

Error 3 means the cluster has lost its conversion program or that the cluster is programmed wrong to the tires on the van. To fix you will need a scan tool to reprogram th e cluster.If reprogramming does not work than you will need to replace the cluster.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does "the cluster" mean the instrument cluster?? Where do I get a "scan tool" and what is the cost? Is this something I need to take it to a dealer for or can I do it myself.

the scan tool is the expensive equipment that the dealers must buy to work on customer vehicles. The cost of the scan tool prohibits most do it yourself techs from doing several repairs.This is a repair that the vehicle really needs to go to the dealer to preform.The cost of the scan tool is around $5000.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Tim.
I will take it to the dealer.

you are welcome