Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

Just replaced my 2004 FORD F250 Diesel 6.0 FICM and had the

Customer Question

Just replaced my 2004 FORD F250 Diesel 6.0 FICM and had the CPM software updated by Auto Exchange Computers out of Florida. The reason for replacement was my FICM had low voltage of 36 when it was cold out. Then it would go up to 47.5 when the motor was warmed up and run great. As known, the FICM was basically going bad like everything with this Ford model & motor, 6.0.

I put in the refurbished FICM and the updated CPM unit, basically straight forward. When the ignition key is turned for glow-plug I get a FICM reading of 47.9. When we try and turn the motor over, the FICM reading goes down to 18.6, without the motor starting.

Also, I checked all plugs in both units to confirm they are connected and checked teh volt of both new batteries, both at 12.7+.

Unfortunately the Auto Exchange Computer is does not have techs today and I really do not want to send it back without professional input.

Please advise as soon as you can. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Confused why no one has answered the second inquiry, so I have gone back to this first question. Hope to hear from someone.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
You should have the batteries load tested.I suspect they are bad,they will still show good voltage but the cranking amperage of the batteries is low and cause the voltage to drop when a load is put on them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Diesel Doc,

Just got back from checking the load on both batteries. They both were ok at 12.5, but still bought new ones which both were 12.8+ cranking load tested and the same result, a strong cranking from the engine, just no start. Please advise.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
With the new batteries dies the FICM voltage still drop to 18volts?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, "all" symptoms are the same. If you have any further questions, it would be great if you asked and assumed one way or the other. I have had to wait all day for you to ask that question regarding the new batteries.

Is there anything that would cause a good FICM reading while turning the key so the glow plug turns off to change to a lower reading when turning over the motor? As well does not have the truck start.

A key side note, the truck originally started but just ran rough when cold. After testing and seeing the old FICM had a low number (running or with key turned on for the glow plug), I sent it out to Auto Exchange Computers with PCM. In turn they returned a refurbished FICM and my PCM with newest software.

I have not changed one thing since taking out the old FICM and replacing with the refurbished.

Could they have messed up the communications between each other?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in my reply,had to move furniture today so was away for a while.

As for the replacement of the FICM,I am pretty sure that this can only be done with the Ford IDS scan tool,we have had all the private shops in town try to reprogram the PCM and FICM but never with any success,It most definitely sounds like the FICM and PCM are not at the same calibration level,I would suggest you get it to your nearest Ford dealer and have them perform a PMI on the truck.PMI is short for programmable module installation

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been told by a variety of local shops and out of state shops that outside of Ford they can update.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Diesel Doc, I must have not click properly the reply. I received an email last night from you.

I did send it back to the Auto Computer Exchange and will have feedback regarding if it was the Units or not. Hopefully I can provide one final email to you in response to share it was the units. If it was not, I will be inquiring the next step from you. Thank you.