Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2001 expedition: driver side door..unlock electrically or manually

2001 expedition. driver side door will not unlock. cannot unlock electrically or manually. Have tried to reset by removing battery cable.
Cannot get door open.

Please advise how to opwn door qnd insepect actuator for problems.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. In order to gain access to the door lock actuator, you will have to remove the door panel, I am sending you instructions in pdf format, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR DOOR PANEL REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

CLICK HERE FOR DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR

The door should open from the inside using the door handle.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer.

By the way, it would help to know:

-Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Shawn,

Sorry for dealy, had to work.

I might be misunderstanding the information sent.

Can door panel can be removed while the door is closed and drivers seat is in the car?

The door does not open with either the interior or exterior door handle or latch. So there is no misunderstanding, the door will not unlock manually or electrically, and therefore cannot be opened any way in the current condittion that I know of. When using the electrical unlock, all other doors unlock. When the car is turned off no lock opens automatically. Normally all doors unlock.

Should I get to the point of actuator rod removal, will that allow for removal of the hook or pin that keeps the door shut?

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply.

If the door does not open, then you will have to remove the front drivers seat to gain easier access.

CLICK HERE FOR SEAT REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

Edited by Shawn on 4/9/2010 at 9:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Link for seat removal does not work. Please resend.

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

Front Seat - Captain's Chair with Side Air Bag

Removal

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: After deployment, the air bag surface can contain deposits of sodium hydroxide, a product of the gas generant combustion that is irritating to the skin. Wash your hands with soap and water afterwards.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

CAUTION: Use care when handling the seat and track assembly. Dropping the assembly or sitting on a seat not secured in the vehicle may result in damaged components.

NOTE: If a seat equipped with a seat mounted side air bag and/or a safety belt pretensioner (if equipped) system is being serviced, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be depowered.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Navigator is shown, Expedition is similar.

graphic

1. Position the seat to gain access to all seat fasteners.
  2. Depower the SRS. For additional information, refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in the General Procedures
  3. Remove the front seat front track covers.
  4. Remove the bolts.
  1. Remove the front seat rear track covers.

graphic

1. Remove the bolts.

graphic

1. NOTE: Some component connectors may not exist due to vehicle options.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

graphic

1. Remove the seat from the vehicle.

Installation

1. Position the seat in the vehicle.
  2. NOTE: Some component connectors may not exist due to vehicle options.
  3. Connect the electrical connectors.
  4. Install the front seat rear bolts.
  5. Install the front seat rear track covers.
  6. Install the front seat front bolts.
  7. Install the front seat front track covers.
  8. Repower the SRS. For additional information, refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in the General Procedures

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering

Depowering Procedure

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  3. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F22 (10A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  5. Turn the ignition OFF.
  6. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

The side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) and wait at least one minute.

Repowering Procedure

1. WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tool(s) that may have been installed during the repair have been removed from the vehicle and all SRS components are connected.
  2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.
  3. Install the RCM fuse F22 (10A) to the CJB and close the cover.
  4. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the battery ground cable is connected.

Connect the battery ground cable.
  5. Prove out the supplemental restraint system (SRS) as follows:
    Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the key back to ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six seconds and then turn off. If an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault is present, the air bag indicator will either:
    - fail to light.
    - remain lit continuously.
    - flash.
    The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the restraints control module (RCM) to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of five sets of five beeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator and any SRS fault discovered must be diagnosed and repaired.
    Clear all continuous DTCs from the restraints control module using a scan tool.

Edited by Shawn on 4/9/2010 at 9:51 PM EST
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas