Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

On my 1995 ford f150 with dual tanks why is one tank pumping

On my 1995 ford f150 with dual tanks why is one tank pumping fuel into the other tank
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Which tank is over flowing?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If the back tank was over flowing while you where running on the front tank then this means you have a bad check valve in the rear tank. The system is designed with a built in check valve in each tank so the return fuel flows back to the tank its being drawn form. If your front pump is returning the return fuel to the rear tank, this means the rear tank check valve in the pump isnt holding. The fix is to replace the rear pump assembly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fuel is being pumped into the opposite tank that I am running on. I notice it in both tanks. Could this also be the cause of the truck feeling like it is starving for fuel?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes very much so, as I stated in my answer in the above post this means the rear tank has a bad pump . Replacing it should resolve both issues.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I have to replace both pumps because I noticed it is also filling the front tank when I am using the rear tank, or would replacing just the rear solve the issue?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If its doing it on both tanks then yes you are likely going to have to do both pumps, I would start with the rear tank and see if it resolves both first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. You are very helpful as usual.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Your very welcome and thank you very much as well.