Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Looking to replace the rear wheel bearings on a 2005 Ford Escape

Looking to replace the rear wheel bearings on a 2005 Ford Escape - V6 AWD (not Hybrid).
Need guidance from Ford Guru,
Thanks.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The wheel bearings are in side the rear hub and you will need a press to remove and replace them as well as a wheel puller to remove hub. I have enclosed the Ford instructions to assist you .

DOWNLOAD HERE

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hey Ron, is this do able without the tools you suggested? and can you give me a time frame per wheel to complete this job based on my ability being a 2 (1-3 with 1 being quality and 3 being beginner).

Thanks for the quick response Ron.

Phil

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If you do not have a Press , no it not very do able. the labot time runs 3.6 hours and you will also need an alignment for about another 1.4 hours.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thanks Ron, one last thing, can you provide the technical names for the press and the wheel puller so i can price one on Ebay or any where else you would advise.

Cheers

Phil

HiCustomer

The hub is pulled with a wheel puller as mentioned in the instructions and can be purchased for a reasonable price from most part stores.

As for the Press , you are not likely going to want to spend $300 on this tool , it would make more sense to take it to your local machine shop and pay them to press them off for you.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just wanted to ask, the info you provided is refering to changing out the bearing on the rear and not the front correct. I looked up Hub pullers but it only seems to be for the front hubs and so i am confused.

THanks

No need to be confused and let me clear it up for you, both the front and the rear use the same set up, The bearing have to be pressed out of the hub...See the enclosed instructions.

DOWNLOAD HERE

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you Ron for the clarification

Phil

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you Ron for the clarification

Phil

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you Ron for the clarification

Phil