EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

blend door actuator or a wiring problem on my wifes 98 Eddie bauer

Customer Question

Don't know how to find out if it's the blend door actuator or a wiring problem on my wifes '98 Eddie bauer
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

First off make sure you have the correct actuator, see this TSB. If you replace make sure you get the right one.

A/C - Lack Of Temperature Control
Notes
Article No.
98-23-20

11/23/98

FORD:
1997-98 CROWN VICTORIA, TAURUS

LINCOLN-MERCURY:
1997 TOWN CAR
1997-98 CONTINENTAL, GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE

LIGHT TRUCK:
1997-98 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to remove reference to the 1998 Town Car.

ISSUE
Some vehicles with a very low odometer reading may experience a lack of temperature control. This may be caused by the incorrect blend air door actuator being installed during the manufacturing process.

ACTION
Install the correct blend air door actuator. Refer to the following text and Actuator Chart to determine if the correct blend air door actuator is installed on the vehicle.

Vehicles which are equipped with manual and Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) use different actuators. The actuators are marked "MAN" for manual and "EATC" or "ATC" for EATC systems. These markings are found on the part number sticker on the actuator.

1998 actuators differ from 1997 actuators on some vehicles (Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, Continental, Explorer/Mountaineer) and are not interchangeable. Installation of the wrong actuator can cause potentiometer failure on manual systems, and no temperature control for both manual and EATC systems, as well as Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 24 or 25 on EATC systems.

Refer to the Actuator Chart to determine if the correct actuator is installed into the vehicle and service as required.

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate the information confirming that the correct actuator was installed at the factory but it didn't tell me what I need to know. The 8 prong connector going to the actuator actually only has 5 wires. An orange, a black/green, a lite green/orange, an orange/black and a brown/white. I need to know how to check the wiring at the connector to be sure that the actuator is getting the right signals to operate correctly and how to check the actuator to see if it is working properly. Thanks
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

This should help. Let me know.

graphicgraphic