Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance

Where do you fill transmission fluid on a 94 escort wagon....

where do you fill transmission fluid on a 94 escort wagon....5 speed
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

You have to remove the VSS sensor on the top of the transmission then put a funnel into the hole and fill it until the full level on the VSS is reached.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is around it?? Is there a wire plug next to it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it above the passenger side half shaft? where it plugs into the transmission? is there a cotter pin on it with a rubber hose to it?
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

It will have a 2 wire connector plugged into it,it will mount on the top of the tranny near the axles near the back of the motor, to the right of the brake master cylinder .

If it is a 1.9L the wire colors are white/black and dark blue.

If it is a 1.8L the colors are dark green and blue.

If you look at the first pic I sent you will see a metal bracket protruding to the right in the center of the sensor. This is the hold down bracket.It will have a bolt in the center of it to hold it in the tranny.

Here is a pic of the filling procedure,it gives you a general idea where to look.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im sorry....i'm the wife at home on the computer & my husband is at the shop with the car...I'm trying to relay messages between the two of you....

Is there a picture engraved in the housing next to it that says oil?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he says he doesnt see a bolt, just a cotter pin holding the part he's looking at...
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I don't have a pic of it other than the one I sent you but tell him the speedometer cable will be connected to it also along with the 2 wire connector.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he thinks he has the right part but doesnt want to add fluid unless he's sure. When he pulls the speed sensor out the metal end looks like a brass bullet-shaped piece and it has a 1" silver cable.....does this sound right?
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

No the speed sensor will have a plastic gear attached to the end of it. When you fill it the fluid level has to reach the top of the plastic gear.

Tell him to look at the fire wall next to where the brake booster bolts up and find the speedometer cable and trace it to the VSS sensor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he sees a black cable coming from the firewall it connects to a black plastic piece...when he pulls the cable out of the plastic piece the end of it is brass bullet shaped with another 1" silver cable coming from it....is this what the end of the speedometer cable should look like...if so, he's got the right part...

(I think you're both talking about the same piece, but he's being extra careful.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it would be easier I can give you his cell number.....

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is the end of the speedometer cable itself. Sounds like he is on the right part. When he removes it there will be a plastic gear attached to the end of it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok he's going to try it. Thank you so much for your help....and patience! He replaced the half shafts but didn't realize transmission fluid would squirt out! You have been a big help! My oldest brother was a ASE Ford master mechanic, but passed away 15 years ago....wish he was still around for me to ask.....but it's nice to know you guys are now online! Thanks again & enjoy the rest of your night!
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

It pays to be save than sorry.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance