Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

1997 ford explorer: door handle..rod..the clip on latch end snaps open

need to replace exterior door handle on my 1997 ford explorer.how do I remove the rod that goes from handle to latch?.can't figure out how the clip on latch end snaps open.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I am sending you instructions in pdf format on how to repair, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Here are the instructions for the exterior door handle, (CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS).
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

In order to remove the rod the latch must first be removed (CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all I need to know is how to unsnap the snap connector on the latch end of the linkage that runs from outside door handle down to latch so I can remove outside door handle.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply.

In order to remove the rod the latch must first be removed (CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS). You will to drill out the rivets holding the handle in place.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
alright, now we're getting closer. this was the information I already had. it looks like the linkage has to be removed from the latch first but it doesn't show or say how to release the connector holding linkage to latch do you have any idea how to remove the linkage from the connector on the latch?.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Ok, in order to remove the linkage, the handle must be removed from the door and then you can disconnect the linkage.

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

The handle must be removed first.
graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already drilled the rivets out that hold the exterior door handle on but the linkage is stopping it from being removed from door.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Is the window all the way up?

Did you remove the door panel?

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
Flip the handle so that the bottom is now facing skyward. Also try loosening the latch.CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes to both of these questions. taking off the door panel was the only way I could see the latch end of the rod.If you look at the drawing you sent on removing door handle it says to remove the door latch to door handle rod first.also you can see the rod has two 90 degree bends on the door handle side so the latch end of the rod would have to be removed first and I can't figure out how to release the connector from latch to rod.I'll bet you wish you hadn't taken my question from the start. sorry I'm making it this difficult,I know it looks easy.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

LOL! You're right, this should've been easy, try to flip the handle so that the bottom is now facing skyward. Also try loosening the latch.CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Check out the diagram below, the red arrows are pointing towards the path in which the j hook connects latch, hope this helps you out.

graphic