Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

1997 Ford Expedition: 000 miles..panel..oil, etc. all out) but vehicle

1997 Ford Expedition 300,000 miles, NEW engine...instrument panel just went out yesterday (no miles reading, fuel, oil, etc. all out) but vehicle was running. Then today, I couldn't get the car to shift into gear. If I pull hard on the shifter, I can get it into neutral, but it's almost impossible to get it back into park to turn the car off if I move the gear shift. Could it be fuses or is it likely more serious? Just spent $5000 on engine, praying it just fuses??????

Check these fuses for power across them.

Interior fuse box.

11, 16, 30

Also check the brake lights and let me know if the fuses are good and the brake lights work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, fuses are good & brake lights are coming on

If the fuses are good than the instrument cluster will need to sent out for repair. The cluster repair is usually around $600 - $800.

On the shifter issue make sure fuse 19 is good and has 12 volts across it. If it is than you will need to drop the steering column down enough to access the shift actuator and make sure it is getting power when you apply the brakes.If it is than the actuator is bad and will need replaced.Usually around $300 installed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are fuses 11, 16, & 30 the only ones that are part of this cluster? I did find fuse 25 is bad, would that cause any of these problems?

Thanks for the info on the steering column, will definitely check for power there.
That should be the fuse for the ABS and should not affect the cluster.Replace it and see if it does anything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Tim!!
Your welcome. One last ditch effort you can try is since the engine was just replaced.Look under the hood and see if any of the ground wires attached to the firewall or inner fenders are loose.You may get lucky and find one loose or not attached.