Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2002 Ford Explorer: 4x4..clunking noise..low speeds..parking garage

2002 Ford Explorer, Auto 4x4, I have a clunking noise, under low speeds making a turn, more so when turning up the slope into my parking garage.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Is this a single noise like someone kicking a wall or is continuous once it occurs like dragging a chain across the ground.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sometimes is a single clunk, or sometimes it will be multipe clunks. Lets say I'm turning up the slope into my parking garage, going under 10mph, it clunks, but then when I am turning into my parking space on level ground it doesn't clunk. It doesn't feel like the rear end because I'm not grabbing for a gears. If I'm doing like a rolling stop and making a turn at a stop light it doesn't do it.
So far your describing a front axle CV joint on the axle halfshaft which is failing and making this noise as the suspension is articulating and the front tires are turned left or right.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, your telling me its a front axle cv joint? Why would I be getting the noise in the rear of the vehicle then?

You stated you did not feel it was in the rear end, or did I misunderstand that?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, you misunderstood, I meant I didn't think it was in the rear differential. It doesn't seem like I have a busted pinion/ring gear or anything.

Ok the the rear wheels are also driven by axle halfshafts but we rarely ever see a rear axle shaft CV joint fail since it does not have the wear due to the stress of the wheels turning left to right via the steering.

If you believe its in the rear then I would check the rear upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings. One other concern with the limited slip comes to mind but so far you have not described it to be that concern.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Does the rear end need any type of additive? Would that be a problem?

If you have a rear limited slip axle it does require an additive called XL3 friction modifier.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I know if I have limited slip or not, and could that be a cause of the problem or no?

Limited slip can be a source of the concern. You must look on the VC label in the drivers door jam to see if you have limited slip or not.