Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

2000 F150. Anti Theft light on. Truck wont start.

Customer Question

2000 F150. Anti Theft light on. Truck won't start. Engine turns over but wont start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 4 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer Since the theft light is flashing then that is a sure indication that here is something wrong with the anti theft (PATS) system on your truck. Unfortunetly for you there is no way for you to reset this system. The only way to "reset" the system is to get the poblem in the system fixed. There is a computer chip in your ignition key that comunicates with a transeiver around the ignition cylinder. This is a good theft system but it is so good that there is no way around it and you will not be able to diagnose it without a capable scan tool,, capable of geting into the system This makes it impossible for the do it yourselfer to diagnose,,also after any component in the system is replaced the keys have to reprogrammed, done with a scan tool. So if the light is flashing while you are turning the key then the theft is activated by a faulty component and you would have to get the truck towed to a shop that can handle repairing the pats system and mainly that means a dealer. Thanks and God Luck Steve

Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it possible to bypass the PATS system entirely?
Expert:  Steve S replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately no there is no way to bypass it all because it is tied into a computer network. It is possible maybe if you wanted to rewire the whole truck but it would just be easier and cheaper to have it repaired. Have you tried to use another key at all,sometimes if a key fails another one may still work. Thanks Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes we have tried another key. Thanks for your assistance.
Expert:  Steve S replied 4 years ago.
you are welcome good luck steve