Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified

97 Ford Aspire: engine started..didnt start

Customer Question

My 97 Ford Aspire has power from the battery, but when I turn the key to start, there is one faint click, but the engine doesn't turn over...the car started once a moment ago, but when I shut off the engine and tried again, it didn't start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Auto Go replied 6 years ago.

locate the starter. using a test light, check for battery voltage at the large wire connected to the starter. This wire should have power at all times. If so, check for power at the small wire at the starter while an assistant holds the key in the crank position. If you have power at the small wire and you are positive the battery is charged and all connections are good, replace the starter. if no power at the small wire while cranking let me know and we will continue.

Expert:  Auto Go replied 6 years ago.
one thing, if it's a manual, don't forget to step on the clutch pedal and if it's an automatic, try starting it in neutral and see if that does it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I located the starter, and I found the two wires (big & small).

I don't have a test light, so I can't really do the testing or fixing on my own...When I insert the key, I hear a humming sound coming from the starter location, but when my assistant holds the key in crank position, I hear only one faint click from near the battery...

I did try starting in neutral, but the same thing happened.

Since the car started once, I'm hoping I can at least get it to start again so that I don't have to tow it 2 blocks to the repair guys...I will try using jumper cables to start it (because the battery might be the problem).......

Any other advice so I can avoid having to tow the car?

Thanks for your help. I will accept your work.

Expert:  Auto Go replied 6 years ago.
try jump starting. If that' doesn't work, you can try this.

turn on the key. make sure it's in park for automatic or neutral for manual. use a jumper wire and connect the small and big wires together. This should activate the starter and the engine should start. it it doesn't, the starter is most likely bad. if it does, then it's probably the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jump starting did not work.

Thanks for your help...I'll get it solved one way or another

Expert:  Auto Go replied 6 years ago.
ok. thanks