Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

1998 Ford Mustang: V6..My check engine light came..find anything wrong

I have a 1998 Ford Mustang V6. My check engine light came on and I took it to Pep Boys. They said they could not find anything wrong. 2 days later it came back on. Could there really be something wrong???
Submitted: 6 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

When the check engine light comes on the PCM detects an emissions related fault and stores a fault code. This code will need to be read with a scan tool. It can be as simple as a faulty gas cap but of course can be more severe. I recommend you try another pepboys or autozone as they will usually scan for these codes at no charge. Once you have the fault code number let me know what it is. It will be a P followed by four digits. For example P0401. Do not authorize any repairs until you reply back with the code number.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sure they did scan for the codes and nothing came up and they did it at N/C. That's why I'm confused. Is it that hard for the scanners to pick up problems?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
If the light is on then there should be codes. It is possible they were not able to communicate with your vehicle is the fuse for the diagnostic data link connector is blown. Check fuse #8 (10 amp) under the dash to see if it is blown. Then next time the light is on go to pepboys or autozone and do not shut the engin eoff and have them scan for the codes.