Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

have a 2006 ford expedition engine contined to misfire, lack

Customer Question

have a 2006 ford expedition engine contined to misfire, lack of power, strong fuel odor. took it to dealer they took engine apart and found #4 cylinder has seized up and a bent rod. vehicle under warranty, but ford denied claim. stated problem came from part of broken sparkplug felled into cylinder, no broken part was found to be from the new or old sparkplug. all sparkplug was intact. we complained to ford in 03/17/06 of vehicle running rough and 07/18/ 2006 hesitation on startup. 09/04/09 ford tested the vehicle and stated cylinder #2-3-4-8 was misfiring. ford found no part of a broken sparkplug within the engine. what else could have cause this failure. i think ford don't want to honor their warranty.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX could I get the VIN and I'll run it on the Ford system. Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1FMPU15526LA07130
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I checked on the Ford system and found no open recalls, at our dealership we have had 2 engines come in with the 5.4 that bent rods because of leaking fuel injectors, we replaced engine and replaced the bad injector. Some of these vehicles with the 5.4 had a owner notification and extended warranty on the injectors, but yours shows none. I would contact Ford customer service and explain your situation and see if they might reimburse, it never hurts to ask. Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there was one bent rod and the #4 cylinder had dent marks on top and the rod was chip on the edge, since no broken sparkplug was found with a missing part, what else could cause this failure. i con tacted the ford warranty service today and they stated the sparkplug was not covered and thats why the claim was denied, which i understand. according to my extended warranty gas fuel injectors and fuel lines are covered. no broken sparkplug part was found, this is what they assumed without evidence. there was excessive fuel going into the engine
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
If there was damage to the top of the piston with no obvious spark plug failure, then some sort of debris entered the cylinder, if it was a bent rod only, I would say a fuel injector failed, but since there are witness marks in the piston and bent rod, then it is difficult to say where the foreign part came from. I don't believe it could have been there new from the start, it would have started knocking within a hundred miles. Without looking at the vehicle myself, may or may not help anyway, since no extra pieces were found it is hard to exactly say what occurred. Ford warranty will cover a worn or broken part, but not damage from a foreign object, whether it is a concern like yours or modifications to vehicle systems, or damage while driving, modifications to suspension, or performance chips etc. Any more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the vehicle was knocking prior to changing the spark plug, every test perform always indicated #4 cylinder with other cylinder, even ford check the system and indicated multi cylinder was misfiring. beginning around june or july 2009 the vehicle started running very rough, idle rpm had drop, and it was continue misfiring. there was a raw fuel smell at the same time. the mechanic show me the #4 piston with excess carbon build up. i took the vehicle in march 5 2010, i have not yet seen the error codes. if the piston have fail totally would there have been an error code and a fail shut down to the engine. my vehicle is design to do that.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
This could have 2 concerns, one with the knock of the piston and a bad fuel injector. Have the injectors ever been leak checked? If you are smelling raw fuel, I would test the injectors for leaking fuel, my guess is there maybe more than one leaking causing the misfire. Is the vehicle at the dealer now? Let me know, Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the vehicle is at the dealer with the head off, the mechanic showed me the mark on the piston and the bent rod. he also showed me a piece of a sparkplug from another vehicle a 1/2 inch medal with a small head, he match the head of the metal piece with witness marks on the piston, it was a perfect fit. we check the new sparkplugs and the old sparkplugs, all the pieces to all the sparkplug was intact. this was verified by the mechanic and service manager.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
Are you the original owner? Do you know of any plug change prior or driveability concern that a mechanic may have removed the plug without your knowledge? If the damage matches a sparkplug then that is probably what cause most of this concern, let me ask you this, how bad was the rod bent? Was it bent real bad or just slightly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i'm not the original owner. i brought the vehicle in 02/06 and it was a used vehicle, i believe it was a lease vehicle because it had 23,000 miles on it. 03/06 and 07/06 we complaint about the vehicle hesitating and running rough and hard to start, ford dealer said nothing was wrong. i don't know if the sparkplug was change prior to that or not. the rod was bent bad. the sevice manager told me if the sparkplug piece was in there when i purchase the vehicle, the vehicle would have started blowing black smoke within a 100 miles. prior to taken the vehicle in, it never blew black smoke. just a little blue smoke on start up only and that was due to excessive fuel, because we could smell it. the dealer stated the all the cylinders on the p/s had low compression and #4 none. we constant could smell raw fuel, even at idle.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
This engine had to have a bad fuel injector that leaked fuel into cylinder and bent the rod badly, if it was just a sparkplug, it may have bent the rod, but I doubt it, it would have been real slight if at all, it would have been knocking only, keep fighting for this to be warrantied, this is a injector failure that bent a rod. And since you stated you kept smelling fuel, it was stuck open blowing raw fuel out the exhaust. Good luck on your quest, don't give up, I see this all the time, be strong and firm, but respectful, and you will go a long ways with this. Any more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W