Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1994 Ford F150: cylinder engine..start position..interior light

I have a 1994 Ford F150 with the 4.9L straight 6 cylinder engine. I went to start it and when I turned the key to the start position, all of the electric power went out. The interior light barely comes on now and turning the key does nothing. The battery tested above specs and the terminal connections are very clean and tight. I have also replaced the selonoid on the fender wall. The truck is still dead. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 4 years ago.
Do you have jumper cables for a test?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think so... I will go look in the garage. If not, I have a lot of wire! I build commercial audio systems and I'm usually pretty good at rigging something up if that helps. I'm just stumped on this one with the truck!
let me know when you are ready
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok... No jumper cables, but plenty of wire and will to get this done! What can I do?
OK, it will be harder to do with just wire. From what you stated, that the truck started fine once after reinstalling the battery. I believe that you have a bad cable on the battery. I was going to get you to take the jumper cables, and jump from the battery positive post to the starter solenoid post where the battery cable hooks on, then try and start the truck. If that did not work, then remove that jumper and jump the negative battery post to the engine block. Which ever one makes the truck start is the bad cable. Can you do this? It would be a lot easier if you had someone to help you. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try that. Be back soon.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
VERY strange... Ok.. I opened the driver side door and left it open so that I could see the interior light through the windshield as a battery strength indicator. Earlier when the truck first had the problem the interior light was barely visible.. Now that some time has passed the light was glowing at about 25%. I found a jumper wire... I ran it from the negative terminal on the battery to the engine block. There was no change in the interior light and the truck still would not turn over at all. I moved the wire so that it ran from the positive battery terminal to the selenoid input... Still no change in the interior light and the engine still did not start. I then ran the wire from the positive side of the battery to the selenoid output and as soon as I connected it, the interior light went completely out - as it did when the problem occured starting the truck. I reconnected the wire to the input side of the selenoid and the light came back on - but a little dimmer. At this point I tried to start the truck 2 times. The first time it did nothing... The 2nd time, something clicked as I turned the key.. The interior light come fully on, the ignition buzzer sounded and the truck started with no problem. Full power. I shut the truck off and restarted it 3 times with no issue, but I don't think it had anything to do with the jumper cable, because it was connected and unmoved when the truck would not start, too. The truck is still running with no jumper cable attached. ???
Do you have replacement battery cable ends on your battery cables? The bolt on kind?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes.

They are most likely the problem here. Remove the cables from the terminals and check to make sure they are not corroded. When you put the cables back on the ends, flip the straps over so that the humped part faces the cable to put more pressure on it. Let me know after you have done this. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there was corrosion underneath the clamps. i cleaned it very well.. wires, clamps and posts... I don't know if it fixed it because the truck started 3 times prior to cleaning them too.. ?? Hopefully it does that trick. Thank you. I'll approve the payment. Have a good night.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where is the green "accept" button?? I don't see it anywhere. The help section said it is at the bottom left of each post... There is nothing on my screen that says "accept" anywhere. I want you to get your money. Please help. ???

The accept button is here. Thanks
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience