Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

how do you change the fuel filter on a 2000 ford e-150 van

how do you change the fuel filter on a 2000 ford e-150 van?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

You will need ford fuel line disconnect tool. It is inserted into the ends of the fuel filter lines to disconnect the lines. The tool is about $5 at a parts store. There is no other way to disconnect these lines without breaking them:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable and relieve the fuel system pressure.
  3. Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel filter. Have a drain pan handy to catch any residual fuel once the lines are separated. On newer models, disconnect the fuel lines from the filter as follows:
    1. Disconnect the safety clip from the male hose.
    2. Install and push the fuel line disconnect tool into the female fitting.
    3. Separate the male and female fittings.
    4. Inspect the fuel lines for any damage after the fuel is finished draining.

4. Remove the fuel filter from the bracket and the retainer, if equipped. Note the direction of the flow arrow so the replacement filter can be installed correctly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Typical fuel filter mounting along an under vehicle frame rail-1997-03 models

To install:

1. Position the fuel filter into the mounting bracket with the flow arrow pointing in the correct direction.
  2. Install the fuel lines to the fuel filter. On newer models, align and push the male tube into the female fitting until a click is heard. Pull on the fitting to ensure that it is fully engaged, then install the safety clip.
  3. Lower the vehicle to the ground.
    NOTE When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the PCM relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to relearn the strategy.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable

Edited by Eric on 3/16/2010 at 4:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so disconnecting the negative battery terminal is what relieves the fuel system pressure?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

No. That is always recommended in any directions as just a sfety precaution.

Below is fuel pressure relief. two ways to do it. either relieve pressure at shraeder valve on the fuel rail, or remove the fuel pump fuse and crank engine and allow to run until it dies:

• Remove the engine cover.
  • Remove the Schrader valve cap and attach the fuel pressure gauge.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Schrader valve

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fuel pressure gauge installed

• Slowly open the manual valve on the fuel pressure gauge and relieve the fuel pressure. This will drain some fuel out of the system. Place fuel in a suitable container.
  •  

2. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the engine compartment fuse box.
    3. Start the engine and allow it to idle until it stalls.
    4. After the engine stalls, crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds to make sure the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been relieved.
    5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
    6. When fuel system service is complete, install the fuel pump fuse.
      NOTE It may take more than one key cycle to pressurize the fuel system. Cycle the ignition key and wait three seconds to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting the engine.
    7. Start the vehicle and check the fuel system for leaks
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician