CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

2002 ford escape: ABS light came..Left Front..ABS Sensor..the garage

i have a 2002 ford escape. My ABS light came on so I took it to the mechanic and he informed me that I needed a Left Front ABS Sensor. I bought the part and replaced it myself and then took it back to the garage to get the code erased but..... to no avail. still coming up with the same code. any advice?

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The Escape's are known to have ABS Tone rings that can break causing a gap that will cause the ABS light to come on. At the end of the axle, there is a ring that has teeth on it, Inspect the ring or any cracks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If this is the case what do I need to do to fix it?
You will need to replace the ring with a new one. They are fairly cheap for the part, but it is somewhat difficult to replace and a lot of the front suspension needs to be taken apart so the axle can be removed so teh new ring can be installed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, I need to take the hub loose in order to get the half-shaft out to change the ring, correct? When I pull the half-shaft from the transmission I will lose fluid, correct? Should I drain down the transmission and change the filter and fluid? If so, any advice on what to replace the trans fluid with? Thanks

Yes, you need to remove the large nut holding the ale to the hub and also remove the bolt holding the lower ball joint in the control arm and then pop the ball joint out. It is a moderatlty difficult job to do. If you have not already, I would inspect the ring first to make sure it is cracked.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will inspect the ring tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks
Glad I could assist you today