Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

Hi, I replaced the shifter cable/link on my 97 ford econoline,

I replaced the shifter cable/link on my 97 ford econoline, 6.8 10 cyl engine, it was a easy task, but: surprise, I can not engage the transmission in any gear, neutral or park, can't move/start the truck now. Is any procedure to follow on replacing this cable/link? any help will be appreciated.since can't move truck to have it checked.
Thank you,
J.R in Michigan.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

good evening and thank you for choosing JustAnswer, its a pleasure

to assist a fellow michigander tonight. Since i am unable to physically inspect the vehicle i will have you check a few things to see if this might correct the concern. Below i have posted the R&R procedure of the shift cable, as well as the cable adjustment procedure, for you to review what you have already done. The concern is still a bit vague for me as it could be either that the shifter and linkage will not engage the gears in the trans, or that the vehicle will not shift out of park. If it is not shifting out of park then first check to see if you have brake lights, if not then likely the brake switch at the pedal has failed. If the concern is that the shifter will not move then first check to see if the shift lever feels 'sloppy' when wiggled, if so then the 2 plastic bushings on the top of the steering column that secure the shift tube will need to be replaced, they only cost $8 each. If the shifter feels tight and the lever just wont move then the cable or the trans lever or cable is binding, or there could be an internal trans concern. First disconnect the cable from the lever on the trans and make sure that the wheels are blocked and the parking brake is on, and with the cable off, have someone move the cable P to 1 or L and observe the cable movement and ensure it moves freely and without much effort on the lever, also check the lever on the trans and (making sure the vehicle is on level surface and wheels blocked ,parking brake on) move the lever on the trans from its rest position towards 1 or L which would be towards the cable's bracket, and ensure the levermoves freely, if so then the fault is either the cable,its adjustment or in the column. If the lever does not move freely then remove the Trans Range sensor and check lever movement again,if it moves freely now the the TR sensor is binding and will need to be replaced, if the lever is still tough to operate then the concern is internal and a shop will need to perform in depth inspecting. Below are the R&R and adjustment procedures for the cable. hope this helps you, please let me know if you have any further questions, i will be online workdays 8-6.

Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are appreciated & would make my day.

Transmission Shift Cable and Bracket

Removal

1. Disconnect the shift cable.
  1. graphic
  2. Push the rubber grommet and the transmission shift cable through the bulkhead.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  1. NOTE: The 4R70W transmission is shown, the E4OD is similar.

Remove the shift cable.
    1. Disconnect the cable at the manual control lever (7A256).
    1. Press the lock tabs and remove the cable from the bracket.
  1. graphic

2. NOTE: The 4R70W transmission is shown, the E4OD is similar.

Remove the shift cable bracket (all except vehicles equipped with 4.2L engine).
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the shift cable bracket (vehicles equipped with 4.2L engine).
    1. Remove the bolt.
    1. Remove the nut.
    1. Remove the bracket.

graphic

Installation

Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
    • Adjust the shift cable. graphicgraphic

Transmission Shift Cable Adjustment

1. Place the transmission range selector lever in the (D) position.
    • Place a three-pound weight on the transmission range selector lever.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle.

Disconnect the shift cable at the manual control lever.
  1. graphic
  2. Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.
  1. graphic

Verify the manual control lever is in the Overdrive position.
    1. Place the manual control lever in the first gear position.
    1. Move the manual control lever two detents to the Overdrive position.
  1. graphic
  2. Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.
  1. graphic
  2. Lock the shift cable lock tab.
  1. graphic
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  1. Remove the three-pound weight.
  1. Carefully move the transmission range selector lever from detent to detent and compare with the transmission settings.
    • Readjust if necessary.
Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ford snr master,
I am sorry but I have to ask: I am talking about a nylon cable with a eye loop at one end, and a small plastic housing with a tumb wheel spring adjuster at the other end, and goes underneat the dashboard, connects to a fixed steel hook at one end, and the little plastic housing gets fixed with a small bolt, and it moves the red needle thst selects the gear range eg( P,N,D,1,2), when you move the shift lever. The shift lever moves, but the red needle do not select the proper gear, when moving the lever, it feels that is not engaging the transmission, al cables to the same are connected or attached to each end. Had to replace the nylon cable/spring linkage, becouse I could not engage the park range, the vehicle was rolling if left unattended, all other gears there where engaging. Sorry for my lack of proper part name terminology, if you are talking about the same cable on your response, I will agree to your response, moore over, I will do it after I finish this.
Regards, XXXXX XXXXX you for your time,
J.Rivera.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

ok, you are referring to what is called the prindle, for the gear indicator. There are 2 cables in the steering column, one that connects to the trans to shift the desired gear, and another that connects from the lever to the indicator on the dash, the prindle has that small black thumbwheel that adjusts the i ndicator. Sometimes the indicator sticks and spraying it with some silicone spray and operating it frees it, or if it does not move at all the cable usualy is broken..

Shift Indicator Cable Adjustment

1. Place the transmission range selector lever into MANUAL 1 position, then back to the (D) position.
  1. Hang a three-pound weight on the transmission range selector lever.
  1. Center the pointer in the middle of the (D) position.
    • Rotate the thumbwheel, located on the bottom of the steering column, to adjust the pointer.
  1. graphicRemove the weight.

Edited by Ford snr master on 3/15/2010 at 5:32 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,
Yes, now we are in the same page, it is what I need to adjust that cable (prindle), I am shure that that will solve the problem. I allready accepted you first answer, and fille feedback questions, please let me know if you got your money, if not I will accept your response answer.
Regards, XXXXX XXXXX you again,
J Rivera.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
yes thank you very much, i have been paid. The prindle usually binds in the indicator and spraying with silicone fixes that usually, if the cable itself is binding then you can try soaking the cable, or replacement of the prindle will be required
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, It is me again , replaced prindle, but have same problem, try to be specific as I can:
I own a 1997 Ford E 350 Econoline, I have the following transmission engagement problem: Truck will not start:
Transmission will not engage any gear, neutral or park. The shift lever feels like is not engagin any thing (moves freely) except at the very bottom (like 2-or 1 position, I feel like engage 1 or 2 gears).
I did the following troubleshooting? myself:
Raised vehicle and manually moved transmission lever to the park position with the following results.
1.- The truck started, (great!!!).
2.- Transmission engaged: Reverse, to Neutral, to XXXXX? not so; truck moved back and forward and after that I tried to put the transmission in park and nothing happened, did not engaged neutral, reverse or park. Got stuck in drive range, and again truck will not start. I may be wrong but shift cable is working, but I can not understand why will not pull back the transmission lever. (I have not adjusted the tranny cable yet, since truck moved and got R,N,and D for a moment). I have not replaced the two plastic bushings, and not adjusted TRS, (don't have the tool any way).
Any advise/suggestion will be appreciated.
Regards from Michigan.
if the trans lever at the trans operates the gears correctly ,then i would first suggest disconnecting the shift cable from the column and operate the cable to ensure it goes through the gears properly, if not then adjust the shift cable, if still not properly engaging gears then you will likely need a cable. If the cable does engage the gears properly when manually pushing in the cable as well as pulling it back when changing gears,then the bushings in the column are likely at fault and will need to be replaced first.