Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I am replacing a thermostat on a 2.5 L OHC engine Ford Ranger-the

Customer Question

I am replacing a thermostat on a 2.5 L OHC engine Ford Ranger-the hose is removed from the housing-the repair manual says to remove two bolts to get to the thermostat-there are no bolts ???
Category: Ford
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 7 years ago.

Hello.

Let me give you some directions with better illustrations than you may have.

First, drain the cooling system.

Disconnect the heater hose from the thermostat housing.

graphic

Disconnect the 2 temperature sensor connectors from the thermostat housing.

graphic

Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the housing.

graphic

Remove the 2 thermostat bolts and pull thermostat housing off.

graphic

Remove the thermostat from the housing.

graphic

To install...

Do not become concerned if the thermostat tabs are not flush with the housing. This is normal and they will press into the housing when installed against the head. Install the thermostat into the water outlet connection:
Press the housing by hand.
Align the thermostat tabs into the recessed areas on the housing.

graphic

Reverse removal instructions for reassembly.

Fill cooling system.

I would suggest using new hose clamps. Any spring clamp should be replaced. be careful with plastic parts as they do become brittle as they age and will crack.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have removed the hose-disconected the sensors-I do not see any bolts-plastic housing appears to be one piece

The 2 bolts are in the following picture.

graphic

Give me the VIN number so I can make sure there is no confusion on the year, or engine size.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
VIN-1FTYR10C4YPB70468

Yup, 2000 ford ranger 2.5L SOHC.

Are you looking from the front of the engine? Right above the water pump?

There are 2 housings. One is for the lower hose and the other is the actual thermostat housing. You must look from the front of the engine.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes I am looking from the front-above the water pump-I am looking at the housing that the upper hose is connected to-the sensor bolts are the only things I see

Well, there are 2 bolts there... trust me. What I will do is open this question to all other experts so they may get involved and give you their input.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you-the illustrations are close but not exactly the same as what I am looking at-I am seeing a solid plastic housing-two sensors to one side-no other bolts are there-no evidence of a thermostat even when I insert screwdriver into housing
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

I have enclosed the excate Ford instruction for replaing the T stat on your 2000 2.5 , Let me know if you need more help.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not mean to be a pain-the illustrations do not match what I am looking at with regard to the housing where the upper hose connects-rather then what is shown I am looking at a single one-piece plastic housing minus any bolts other then the ones for the sensors
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Your not a pain in the illustrations but there are 2 bolts and you are missing something here. The instruction I sent you are right From Ford and are not wrong. Step back and have another look. If they dont match , then are you sure you dont have a 2.3?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I sent the VIN #-the stickers under the hood designate a 2.5L engine-your instructions and the ones in my repair manual are identical-but do not match what I am looking at ??????-I noticed the labels under the hood were in English and I believe French-emissions, A/C, etc.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Well my instruction are the same as the last expert and are correct, Perhaps you will need some professional help with this one. I can relist the question for you if you would like. Let me know. Something is being overlooked.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for trying