Earl, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Tech since 2006 Diesel certified, have been with Ford since 1995.

Where is the Vehicle Speed Sensor located on a 1998 Ford Explorer

Where is the Vehicle Speed Sensor located on a 1998 Ford Explorer AWD with 5.0L EFI.

According to the service manual it is located on the output shaft housing of the transfer case.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this on the output to rear or front?
It is the output to the rear.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anywhere else it could be hiding. Just looked on the rear output on transfer case and there is no sensor there. It has the Borg Warner transfer case. I can see a sensor on the rear axle but I believe that is for the ABS.

That is why I said according to the service manual, the speed sensor is not always on the transfer case. In your case the sensor that you see on the rear differential is the sensor that provides your vehicle speed and yes it also provide the input for the ABS.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh, well that explains it! Thank-you very much for your help. I have to return to the parts store to pick up the correct sensor.
Alright good luck with your repairs and thanks for using Just Answer.