Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

My car is a Ford Fusion 2007. While driving along the check

My car is a Ford Fusion 2007. While driving along the check engine light with an open end wrench suddenly comes on and the transmission shifts to low gear. This condition lasts until I stop, turn off the engine, and restart. The local Ford dealer refused to work on it until the light comes on and stays on. My mechanic changed the sensors as directed by the code from the computer but didn't fix it. I have spent nearly a thousand dollars and have got no improvement.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 6 years ago.
Since the engine and wrench lights are on this is indicating a likely concern with the transmision. Since the lights are on there is/are dtc's stored in the engine's computer which would indicate what component set the code and is at fault. Without physically testing the vehicle it is tough to advise what failed, but this concern is likely transmision related since it defaults to LOW. I would suggest driving the vehicle untill the lights stay on and driving it in to the dealer with the lights being on so they can connect the scantool to your vehicle to retrieve codes before you shut it off. The codes should be stored in the computer regardless of shutting the engine off, but leaving it running with the light on will not allow them to refuse to work on your vehicle as the fault is clearly present.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My mechanic read the computer lights and it indicated that a sensor was to blame. He changed out the sensors, for nearly $300, but it made no difference. Then he changed some other sensors, still no improvement. Another mechanic changed the fuel filters and checked the fuel pumps, with still no improvement. Still another mechanic said that the transmission oil was dirtier that it should be for a car with such low milage. Your suggestion that I wait until the car shifts into low gear and then take it to the Ford dealer is a good idea, but here the distance is about 50 miles, a long way to go in low gear.
since the engine light AND wrench light are on and the vehicle defaults to low, the concern deffinately lies with the transmision, so why the mechanic would even change the fuel filter is beyond my comprehension. He obviously wouldn't be able to properly diagnose the concern and i would suggest checking with the dealer for sure, just for the benefit of the testing equipment used. The problem being driving there in low as you have mentioned as well as for the concern to be present as well. But any time there is a problem indicated the engine computer will store a code in its memory which will indicate the component at fault. So technically the dealer wouldn't need the concern to be active to identify the component and its circuits. Though it is nessecary for the concern to be present and duplicable to perform testing to find the interuption in electrical flow through the circuits and tto identify the culprit. The dealer should also be able to roadtest your car to attempt to duplicate the concern as well.So even if your vehicle is acting fine now,as long as the concern has happend and has stored a code, the dealer technician will have an idea, if not an answer if it is a concern he has seen before and knows the fix for, how to persue this diagnosis and attempt to duplicate it. In other words, the dealer should be able to properly diagnose the concern and tell you the exact root cause, most Ford dealer techs are extremely well trained by Ford motor company itself