Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

How do I replace the dashboard light bulb on my 2003 Ford Taurus

How do I replace the dashboard light bulb on my 2003 Ford Taurus SE? It actually comes on sometimes but goes off, loose wire? or loose Bulb? I though to just replace the bulb.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.
which bulb are you looking to replace? is it one of the instrument cluster illumination bulbs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the one that lights up the speedometer and gas and rpm gauges
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

those gauge lights go out at the same time along with the temp gauge, then they

come back on, it doesnt do it all the time but I never know when there not going to

work.

to replace these bulbs the instrument cluster will need to be removed as the bulbs are twisted in from the back side. See procedure below to remove the cluster to access and replace the bulbs

Removal and Installation

1. Depower the supplemental restraint system (SRS).
  1. Remove the instrument cluster finish panel.
  1. If equipped with column shift, remove the shifter selector cable.
    1. Remove the screw.
    1. Disconnect the cable.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the instrument cluster screws.
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the instrument cluster.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are appreciated & would make my day.

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure how to depower (SRS) system and remove cluster finish panel.
I have no column shifter, thats not a problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: tells me to de-power the(SRS) system but not how and tells me to remove the cluster finish panel but not how..
tells me to de-power the(SRS) system but not how and tells me to remove the cluster finish panel but not how.
to deactivate the airbag system you must disconnect the battery and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before unplugging any airbag components. I am looking up the R&R procedure for the finish panel for you now

Edited by Ford snr master on 3/11/2010 at 1:48 AM EST

Instrument Cluster Finish Panel

Removal and Installation

1. Adjust the steering column to the full tilt-down position.
  1. Remove the instrument panel center finish panel:
    1. Remove the integrated control panel (ICP) using special Ford radio removal tool (obtained at most autoparts stores for under$10)
    1. Remove the instrument panel lower steering column cover.graphic
      1. Remove the bolts.
      1. Remove the instrument panel lower steering column cover.
    1. Remove the ashtray.
    1. NOTE: When installing the instrument panel center finish panel, be sure the alignment tabs are positioned correctly.

Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
      1. Remove the screws.
      1. Remove the instrument panel center finish panel.
      • Disconnect the electrical connector by reaching through the ICP opening.

.graphic

1. Remove the headlamp switch:
      1. CAUTION: Cover the end of the tool with tape to prevent damage.

Insert a thin tool to remove the headlamp switch.
      1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.graphic
    1. NOTE: If equipped with a steering column selector lever, position the lever in the 1 position.

Remove the instrument cluster finish panel.
      1. Remove the screws.
      • If equipped, disconnect the traction control switch electrical connector.
    1. graphicTo install, reverse the removal procedure.