Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Replace a fuel pump on a 1995 ford explorer, 4 door,4.0 engine?

Customer Question

how to replace a fuel pump on a 1995 ford explorer, 4 door,4.0 engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

I am sending you instructions on how to replace the fuel pump, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS

Removal and Installation

1. NOTE: Make sure fuel tank is properly supported during removal and installation procedures.

Drain fuel from fuel tank . This can be done by disconnecting the fuel tank filler pipe from the tank filler neck.
  2. Support fuel tank , then remove the 10mm fasteners at the front fuel tank support.
  3. Loosen the fuel tank support strap (making sure tank is supported) and remove.
  4. Lower the fuel tank then disconnect the fuel lines from sender tubes and electrical connector. Remove the vapor valve hose. Remove the remaining fuel filler vent pipe.

For installation, follow removal procedure in reverse order. Tighten front support bolts to 34-46 Nm (25-34 lb-ft). Install fuel tank support strap and tighten bolt to 34-46 Nm (25-34 lb-ft). Refer to illustration for proper installation of fuel tank filler pipe making sure horseshoe clip is engaged.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

need to know how to disconnect the two hoses connected to fuel tank at the rear of the

vehicle?

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, Here is some more information. The release tools can be purchased at your local auto parts store, like Auto Zone for example.

Fuel Lines

MFI engines use Teflon® stainless steel for fuel supply and return lines and carbon steel for vapor line in the engine compartment. Outside the engine compartment the materials are either nylon (Aerostar and Ranger), or Teflon® stainless steel for fuel lines and carbon steel for vapor line (Explorer).

On Aerostar, the plastic fuel tube assemblies are secured to the body rails with nylon wraparound clips and push-in pins. The clips are located along the tube assembly by upsets on the fuel tube. On Ranger vehicles, the plastic fuel and vapor tube assemblies are secured to the frame rails with integral clips.

On Explorer vehicles, the steel fuel and vapor tube assemblies are secured to the frame rails with integral clips.

Spring Lock Coupling

Fuel tubes which connect to MFI engines utilize spring lock couplings in the engine compartment instead of the plastic or stainless steel push connect fittings. The spring lock couplings work by insertion of the fitting's male end, which is surrounded by two O-rings, into a female flared end engine fitting. The coupling engagement is secured by a garter spring which prevents the female flared end from becoming disengaged from the male end.

Spring Lock Coupling Disconnect Tool D87L-9280-B or equivalent is used to disconnect the 12.7mm (1/2-inch) spring lock coupling supply fitting. Tool D87L-9280-A or equivalent is used to disconnect the 9.52mm (3/8-inch) spring lock coupling return fitting.

CLICK HERE FOR Push Connect Fittings

CLICK HERE FOR Spring Lock Couplings

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: are there any visual aide's to better understand
on how this is done.
are there any visual aide's to better understand
on how this is done
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Yes, click on the links below.

CLICK HERE FOR Push Connect Fittings

CLICK HERE FOR Spring Lock Couplings

Spring Lock Couplings

CAUTION: Discharge fuel system before disconnecting coupling.

Disconnecting

1. Remove safety strap. Fit tool to coupling so that tool can enter cage to release the garter spring.

graphic

1. Push the tool into the cage opening to release the female fitting from the garter spring.

graphic

1. Pull the coupling male and female fittings apart.

graphic

1. Remove the tool from the disconnected spring lock coupling.

graphic

Connecting

1. Check for missing or damaged garter spring. If spring is damaged or missing: remove damaged spring with small hooked wire and install a new spring.

graphic

1. Clean fittings and install new O-rings. Use only specified O-rings supplied in Kit E35Y-19D690-A. Lubricate with clean refrigerant oil and assemble fitting by pushing with a slight twisting motion.

graphic

1. Visually check to be sure garter spring is over flared end of female fitting and pull on fitting to ensure full engagement.

graphic

Spring Lock Coupling Safety Clip Installation

1. Visually check to be sure garter spring is over flared end of female fitting.
  2. Pull on connector opposite the direction of installation to verify that the connector is locked in place. If connector is not locked in place, refer to connecting Sprocedure in this section.

graphic

1. Install large end of clip to garter spring side of fuel line making sure that clip is properly positioned. Refer to the following illustration.

NOTE: The black 12.7mm (1/2-inch) clip fits the fuel supply line. The silver 9.5mm (3/8-inch) clip fits fuel return line.

graphic

1. Attach the tether to the fuel line and snap shut.

graphic