Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

Will a 1998 ford explorer SOHC 4.0l engine fit (and function

Will a 1998 ford explorer SOHC 4.0L engine fit (and function properly) on a 2001 ford explorer sport trac SOHC 4.0L (4X4)? A local selling me the re-manufactured engine claims that it will....something having to do with matching vin "E"....some numbers on his engine block that apparently match the eighth digit of my VIN. Not sure what that means, but I do not want to commit to purchasing an engine that would be useless to me. Thanks in advance.

Hello, the engine must come from a 4x4 SOHC to work correctly, Here is the interchange that will fit. Thanks

FORDEXPLORER(1997 - 2004)
FORDEXPLORER SPORT(2001 - 2003)
FORDEXPLORER SPORT TRAC(2001 - 2004)
FORDRANGER(2001 - 2003)
FORDRANGER EDGE(2001 - 2003)
MAZDAB4000(2002 - 2003)
MERCURYMOUNTAINEER(1998 - 2004)
MERCURYMOUNTAINEER PREMIER2004

SOHC, 12-VALVE, 8 BOLT FLYWHEEL, BLOCK# XXXXX 1L2E, HEAD# XXXXX 1L2E, WITH BALANCE SHAFT FOR 4X4 APPLICATIONS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Just one more question and I will gladly click on "ACCEPT ANSWER." If the engine that I am purchasing has already been removed from the donor car (and I have no way to confirm that the donor was a 4X4), how do I verify that it is a 4X4 SOHC? Will it have the block #'s that you listed be stamped onto the actual engine if is a match? And if so, will it have both 97JM AND 1L2E on the block OR just one set of numbers?
The block numbers are the same. The difference is that the 4x4 is machined for an additional balance shaft on the bottom of the engine inside the oil pan. If you put the 4x2 engine in your truck, it will run and drive, but it may have a vibration due to not having the additional balance shaft. To save the heartache, I would not recommend this engine, as you stated it would not be a wise investment if you put it in and it vibrates too bad to drive. Thanks