John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

what is the torque spec on a 2005 ford f150 pinion seal

Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer technician.
I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Sorry there is not torque spec on the pinion nut. You have to measure the rotational torque before you remove it to get it to the same reading. The way I do it is I mark the pinion nut, the flange and the pinion and count the number of turns to remove the nut and install it the same amount of turns then line up all the marks. If you over tighten you will over crush the crush sleeve and too loose and you will cause problems also. Either way if it is not just right you will damage the bearings over time. I am also posting the Ford procedure to further assist you.

Click here for procedure

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can receive payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what do you do if you didnt record the original preload reading is ther a general torque spec to tighten the nut

Expert:  John Mc replied 6 years ago.

No there isn't. Here is what to do. Use a 1/2" impact and install the pinion nut until the socket stops turning. Do not try to make the gun overtighten it. When the nut makes a major load on the gun stop. Hard to describe but this is the best way. When done you should be able to turn it with your hand and there should be no play in and out. Pretty much watch the socket it will turn at a certain rate, when that rate slows a good bit stop.

Sorry to be vague but this is the best I can explain.

John Mc